Dirt Bike Guide
Reviews
Dealer Guide - our own yellow pages!
Contact GOR Administrators
Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: SORCS racers...let's stop hiding your race class stickers.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:41 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

maxellfullmoon wrote:
But you think the idea of racing seems silly.

::duh:: What thread are you reading? I think the idea of only racing the guys in your class is silly. I.E.-who cares about a stupid sticker. There's 200+ bikes on the trail and only 5 are in your class. Race em all!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:59 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

ScottGreer wrote:
maxellfullmoon wrote:
But you think the idea of racing seems silly.

::duh:: What thread are you reading? I think the idea of only racing the guys in your class is silly. I.E.-who cares about a stupid sticker. There's 200+ bikes on the trail and only 5 are in your class. Race em all!

Well if that's your logic, then why don't you race AA? ::popcorn:: ........ I mean there's only 5-10 guys that race AA on a regular basis. You start on Row 1 & you don't have to worry about any of them getting in your way. If you race AA you can't complain about anyone holding you up other than a lapper getting in your way & holding you up.

Having the Begginers & C-Class riders think you are a Pro when they see you pass them is just a added bonus ::smirk::

09 YZ250 (265 Woods Weapon)
06 CRF250R- Sold (No more 4Joke)
RM144 - The newest addition (She's purdy)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:05 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Quote:
I just can't see any advantage to purposely hiding the sticker

You don't think it gains any advantage to hide the sticker.

Quote:
Read the rules "Class stickers should be placed on the back near
bottom of helmet, below goggle strap. Missing or covered stickers is subject to
penalty. Stickers will be checked at the start. Missing, incorrect or covered stickers
will not be allowed to race."

And you may not have been aware of the rules, but you know them now.
And you're still arguing about showing you're class sticker.

Just follow the rules. Are you just trying to be a rebel?
"No one's gonna tell me I have to show my sticker"

I know, maybe your argument is just that you don't think we should bother with class stickers at all. But that's for you to take up with SORCS to get the rule changed.

All I was originally saying is that there is a rule that everyone should make sure their class stickers are showing. And everyone should follow the rules so we are all on the same playing field.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:40 am 
GOR Assisted Living

This thread needs to be meshed together with a thread about not getting out of the way. ::smirk::

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:27 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

When I first started racing this year, I too was concerned about the class sticker being covered for the exact reason stated here. I was new, and fairly out of shape, I would often lead the first 2, 3 or 4 laps, then tire out and start to pull back the intensity a bit to try and make it to the finish. I would hope that they couldn't catch back up and if they did, I would wait to see if anyone was in my class that was catching and passing me. I would then try to dig really deep and race them the rest of the way to the finish. HOWEVER, the reality was that it didn't really matter and that was actually a dangerous game to play. I was gassing out anyway and to push harder would be to put myself at more risk for injury. I also came to grips and accepted the fact that if they are good enough to catch me and be on me hard enough to pressure for a pass: 1. They deserve it because they are faster and in better shape than me that day, and 2. I really aught to let them by safely so that neither of us got injured in an accident caused by an exhausted rider trying to push past 100% effort.

What I did to relieve this anxiety and stress was to focus on intense physical conditioning during the week. I bought a road bike and started riding every few days, then every other day, and now almost everyday. I first could only go about 5-6 miles, then 10, then 15, and now around 22-25 miles, my average speed went from 12, to 13, to 14, to 15, and now to about 16-16.5 mph average in my very hilly area.

Guess what started happening? I raced stronger from start to finish and stopped getting winded and gassed near the end, and that kept me from worrying about people coming up on me from my class. If they did, good for them, they earned it. I have now secured 4 class wins, and that would have been 5 in a row had I not gotten a flat at swimming hole.

My point being from all this hot air is:

Don't race the riders, race yourself and race the course. Let the cards fall where they may and relieve yourself of that stress and anxiety about who is in your class. Revel in the small successes and you'll have WAY more fun AND you will feel vastly more rewarded no matter what position you end up in at the end of the day. The success is found in the small things, like "I didn't get tired until the very last part of the last lap, so I know I improved and that is a SUCCESSFUL day."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:25 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Great post and spot on ::up::

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:27 am 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

You just started racing this year and already have 4 wins? That's awesome man ::up::
I've been trying to mountain bike more to condition myself.
Unfortunately it's my knees that start hurting and holding me back towards the end of the race. I recently got some good knee braces hoping it would help but didn't really help at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:13 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

maxellfullmoon wrote:
You just started racing this year and already have 4 wins? That's awesome man ::up::
I've been trying to mountain bike more to condition myself.
Unfortunately it's my knees that start hurting and holding me back towards the end of the race. I recently got some good knee braces hoping it would help but didn't really help at all.

Mountain biking seems kind of hard on the knees. You might want to try road biking to save your knees. For me, the key was getting my endurance up, which means long rides with hills for lots of short intervals of high intensity while getting continuous cardio training. Kind of like what you get in a race.

I'm not sure how tall you are, but I am 6'4" and trying to stand and sit on the bike was hard on my legs and knees, and I don't even have any knee injuries to date. I was pretty much forced to sit for 95% of the race because standing to sitting was so deep of a squat it was killing me, plus i was super unstable when standing because my knees where above the seat. I have recently remedied that some though by installing a 2 Tall Racing space kit. It raises the tank and subframe so that they bike fits me more like a stock bike fits a guy who's 5'-10" or so. Now sitting to standing is not as big of an issue, I just need more practice at it so I feel more natural standing.

Yes sir. This is my first year ever running a series. I have ridden for fun off and on since I was a kid though, so I am not a complete rookie. For instance, back when I was 20, which was 20 years ago, I raced a couple of motocross races on a really beat up old KX250 that I bought for $700 (I was in the Marines at the time and Marines don't have much of a "Race Budget", but I was happy to have it). And I have also raced one GNCC when I was 24, that was back when I was REALLY broke and in college. I did that on a clapped out 1994 XR250R that smoked like a train. LOL :D So I had a little race experience before this year.

This year I finally got to a point where I could barely afford a good bike and could travel to most all of the races. I picked SORCS to follow and then Paul Wright's guys at KTMWorld hooked me up with a super sweet left over '14 250XC for a great deal and off I went.

I was 39 when the season started and even though I was about to turn 40 in three short weeks, they told me I HAD to race a 30 year old class. ::eek:: So I signed up for 30+C and here we are.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:37 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I'm in both camps. I've been ticked off by someone who has their sticker covered, but can't say for sure as I sit here in front of my computer that mine isn't covered by my strap. So I'd say a fair amount of it is unintentional.

The colored stickers make a lot of sense. Always visible even if your strap gets jacked up.

Said a little better than before

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:54 pm 
Sasquatch Teddybear

::popcorn:: Good stuff

DJ

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:56 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I like to just barely stick mine on so it will blow off on the first lap! ::cry::

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:37 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

pooter wrote:
I like to just barely stick mine on so it will blow off on the first lap! ::cry::

Yeah, but we all know your an A-Class rider! ::smirk:: ::up::

09 YZ250 (265 Woods Weapon)
06 CRF250R- Sold (No more 4Joke)
RM144 - The newest addition (She's purdy)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:49 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

RIGHT!! ::notworthy::

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:51 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

What does it matter what sticker they have if they are passing you! ::rotf::

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:31 am 
GOR Assisted Living

pooter wrote:
What does it matter what sticker they have if they are passing you! ::rotf::

Amen! ::cheers::