Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moto Mountain Updates
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:27 pm 
C - class
C - class

Hello. My name is Lee and I'm new to this forum but I've probably ridden with quite a few of you at unmarked locations around Atlanta or at HP or RC over the years. I've ridden DTown once.

I want to post what I know to be true of MotoMtn in Fairmount, GA. I'm not an employee of MM but rather a dude who loves their terrain, scenery and different riding options that MM offers. I rode MM most weekends before it closed 2 years back and have ridden MM every weekend since it re-opened on Labor Day this year. I enjoy it so much that I volunteered to help clear any trails that were suffering from neglect during the closure. Here is what I know from my riding and trail clearing since Labor Day:

- There are basically 5 wide loops--A,B,C,D and E. I like max throttle so these loops offer that opportunity--but only in certain places. D & E loops are my favorites while B and C loops are far less technical-- but B and C do offer many nice wall berms, what feels like a bazillion corners and even a few steps to grab air from. Both B and C can feel like being on the Mind Bender at 6 flags if you pace them fast enough. Quad folks and beginners are more prevalent on the B and C loops so always ride aware.

- The 'A' loop is the MX track which is basically a beginner level track but it has nice wall berms and some elevation changes with easy table tops. A great place to warm up before hitting the loops or ST. I do miss the small double jump they had a few years back and would enjoy a nice whoops section; maybe they will add that back in.

- The D & E loops are as gnarly and steep as ever (marked as extreme) but also offer a few 4th gear tapped out straights. Quads are occasionally seen on these loops so keep that in mind when your letting that rear tire feast.

- I cleared all of the ST inside and around the E loop-- which is 5 or 6 trails. MM staff had already chain-sawed any large trees so it was just a matter of moving some tree tops or logs out of the way. I hung a few orange flags on the lesser known ST. Most of E loop ST is 4 or 5 diamond with lots of big elevation changes, some log hops, some deep ruts, off cambers, big roots and rocks--all the stuff we ST folks enjoy. Jacobs Ladder, Ridge Runner, Southern Nights and Wolf Creek are personal favorites inside the E loop. If you can make it through any of these ST without dabbing a foot then you're doing extremely well and may want to line up sponsors. One of my bikes has Rekluse and trails like MM's were made for for a Rekluse. E loop also offers great 'free ride' hill climb opportunities on the 3 different ridges inside of the E loop. The hill climbs are almost as long and difficult as the biggest ones at RockCrusher.

- D loop has even gnarlier terrain and elevations than E loop, IMHO. Who's Your Daddy ST is a blast and I cleared the downed trees late on Sunday. Its rock garden/creek run section is quite challenging and major kudos to anyone who can make it through that without dabbing. StoneyCreek is passable and I plan on clearing a few downed tree tops there this weekend. D loop offers more ST than E loop. Per the map they give out, it appears there are about 10-12 ST trails inside of the D loop.

- Trail marking was always an opportunity for improvement at MM and it still is. That's just a matter of nailing up signs at trail entrances and directional arrows at any trail convergences. I may get up there this week and start that process. I did orange flag a few of the lesser known ST inside the E loop.

- The fee is $35 and I don't think the 2 day pass is available at this moment. Yes, many of the usual riders a few years back don't like the new rate and I also wish it was the old rate but to have another riding option is a good thing for us trail folk. 1hr 10 minutes from Atlanta is also nice and beats the 2+hours I was driving to other places. Plus, the 3000 acres and the great riding topography makes the $35 more palatable.

- The lower portion of D loop (beyond the powerline) was sold but there was only 1 ST there anyhow. Most of that lower D loop was quad trails and flattish bottom land which wasn't very challenging. However, we can still ride the powerline and that stairway to heaven and back down to underworld is still there.

- The staff is building 'VIP' sheds in the parking area for folks who want to get out of the sun. I hear they may put solar panels on them to offer power for radios, phones etc...

- Because MM was closed for 2 years there is still topsoil! This is a big plus.

- If I were the Owner and had all that land I'd add an enduroX course. Lord knows he has the land for it and the rocks; there has to be an abundance of free old tractor tires and concrete pipe around there somewhere?

All in all, if you are looking for another riding option that is closer to Atlanta and Chattanooga then come out one weekend and try it. I could use the riding company. Most of the folks I have seen are families on SxS's hitting the powerline and B C loops.

Post subject: Re: Moto Mountain Updates
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:10 pm 
B - class
B - class

I appreciate all the info. MM is only 25 minutes from my house.

The problem I have is supporting a business that has continued to thumb its nose at the people who actually want to ride there. They have never made any effort to clarify the things that you so eloquently (and thoroughly) wrote. They made zero effort to explain what happened two years ago. They've made virtually no effort to even update their website, with the "latest news" being over two years old. Also, if you're going to charge more than any other park in the state, then give people some reasons as to why it's worth it. Instead, it's mostly crickets.

This is 2017. Updating a website is simple. Even their Facebook page leaves virtually all questions left unanswered. It seems their main form of spreading the word is through people like yourself, who do the promotion for them. That may be the crappiest business plan I've ever seen.

I'm sure there will be people that will piddley-poo on my opinion, basically saying that they don't care as long as there's another place to ride. That's fine. Ask yourself if you'd accept that type of attitude from any other business you give your money to. If so, then your standards are far lower than mine. That's fine, too. Knock yourself out. I'll be giving my hard earned money to businesses that actually seem to care about communicating with their customers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:55 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

I just wanna ride.

- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:19 pm 
C - class
C - class

Hey Agitator,
I feel you and understand the bad blood. I was one of those that showed up 2 Labor Days ago for that 're-opening' only to discover Bob's was boarded up and the place was a ghost town. That was a bad day. I don't know why their FB and website aren't updated, but I'm also a guy who has never FB'd, tweeted or managed a website so I'm no help there. I just like riding mountainous terrain, mx something, fast trails and more technical trails. I also enjoy not getting run off by the law or by hunters at this time of year.

I debated on not showing up until the rate goes back to $25, but I decided riding the challenging topography was far more fun than striking. I don't know the Owner but if I had a chance I would recommend he go back to the old rate or add something like an enduroX course (they require very little acreage, a few old tractor tires, rocks, telephone poles, concrete highway barriers and pipes).

If you change your mind come out some time and ride with me. There's always 1 or 2 of us there that like to ride ST. I park near the new sheds at the fence line.

Lee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:12 am 
B - class
B - class

In all honesty, I'll probably give them another try after they work out some of the kinks.

I own a business. I also didn't grow up in the computer age. However, it's the easiest way to get (mostly) free advertising, and the way a majority of people these days look for information. My website is insanely easy to update. While Facebook is annoying, it too is very easy to update or respond to inquiries. Heck, coming on this forum and posting info is easy. Paul at Highland Park does it all the time...and it is appreciated. Why would you not take advantage of a free forum of local riders to promote your business?

It's a lot of work to maintain a riding facility. I'm in construction, and it's a lot of work doing my job. However, I wouldn't have a business very long if I didn't respond to my customers, or didn't give my general contractors or sub contractors any information. Two weeks before their first "re-opening" date MM didn't even have a working phone number. Thus, people went to ride and no one was there. No one would do business with me if I did that.

I've made my point, so I'll let it drop. I really do hope they work out their issues and it becomes a viable place to ride again. I rode there several times before, and enjoyed it. The trails were a little hard to navigate due to lack of signage, but I usually figured it out. Given the time though, I'm always going to point my truck toward Highland Park, because they've earned my business, and I'm pretty loyal to those that I see running a business the way it ought to be run.

James

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:49 pm 
Sasquatch Teddybear

cbob wrote:
I just wanna ride.

- c bob

Get up off your scrawny little Squirrell arse and go ride ::tricycle::

DJ

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:53 pm 
B - class
B - class

I am all for giving MM a second chance but $35 is a little steep for only one day. That price will probably keep me going to HP instead.

Previous bikes-
1974 Yamaha trials 250,1978 YZ 125,1979 RM 250,1981 CR 480,1985 TRI-Z 250,1985 RM 250,1986 Quadracer 250, 1989 CR 500,1991 Banshee 350,2006 CRF 450x
Current-2007 Honda CRF 450x, 2008 Raptor 700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:45 pm 
C - class
C - class

Moto Mtn Ride Report 10/7/17 Sat; 2016 YZ250X (no Rekluse, no flywheel weight):
I explored a few of the D loop ST trails today. Rode Stoney Creek Too which merges with Canyon Carver. I hung orange flags at the entrances to each (both trail entrances are on the right and only bout 100 yards apart and about 1/4 of the way down the D loop --and WELL before you get to the power line). Canyon Carver is a technical 4&5 diamond with only 1 large tree down that will be chain sawed. As ST riders do, a bypass was made around the tree. Canyon Carver was 1st - 3rd gear and runs parallel alongside the D loop before dumping you out just north of the powerline. Turn right at the end of this trail and you will see more orange flags on a bypass quad trail. There is a short 3 diamond loop there. Follow D loop about 3/4 of the way around and Dragons Back is on the left. Orange Flags are flying, you cant miss it. I LOVE this trail and it has 4 and 5 diamond sections and like Who's Your Daddy it has long steep gully ride (much longer than Who's but is a dry gully unlike Who's creek/rock garden section). Dragons Back section is 1st -3rd gear. Dragons Back and Who's Your Daddy are must rides on the D loop, you wont regret it.

Speaking of regret, somehow I wound up on a very steep downhill excursion off Dragons Back only to find massive oak trees down at the bottom of the mtn with no way across the creek and up the other mtn. These trees are too big for a standard chainsaw. Rather than turn around and climb back up the hill I just smoked my brakes coming down, I decided to free ride a very tough off camber sidewind route back up the mtn I had just came down; in effect I made a loop. I hung orange flags at the bottom of the off camber and you will see bits of my soul and pride along with trenches up along the impromptu sidewinder off-camber trail. Without a Rekluse it was a 45 minute ordeal climbing out to that valley and since this trail has no apparent name I will call it Satan's Loop of HATE. There is an awesome possible gully climb from the bottom of that mountain all the way to the top but it needs a few logs moved.
In the next month, I will clear this gully climb and then take tools and make a less hairy detour around those downed trees at the creek crossing and up that other mtn-- simply because I want to see what in the heck is at the top of that thing.

I was so exhausted after extricating myself from the Satan's Loop of Hate that I didn't ride Who's Your Daddy on the way out, but I already cleared and flagged it last week.

If you want rough, rocky and 3-4th gear then just ride the D and E loops. If you like technical and topsoil then stick to the ST trails.

There is talk of MM being open this Monday for the Holiday, weather permitting.

Last edited by Lotta Throttle on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:23 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

So it's $35 per day and you pay at the parking lot now, correct? Is it cash only?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:23 am 
C - class
C - class

JHunter--Yes, $35 and you pay in the parking lot at the large building full of decks, there is no more Motorcycle Bob's. I assume they got rain yesterday and probably today so the loops should be prime by this weekend ie...dustless. The ST soil is always prime. Get a map at the desk, they are pretty helpful.

There's still a lot of ST in the D loop that I have yet to orange flag at the entrance. If you have a roll feel free to flag the entrances of any you find and I will eventually get to them and clear any tree tops that have fallen. I don't orange flag the exits of the ST in order to keep folks from riding them backwards.

Good luck and enjoy the riding,
Lee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:24 am 
C - class
C - class

and yes, cash only.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:13 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Sounds like the $35 is unjustified. They'll be gone again soon if they don't so something to warrant a 30% additional cost of areas like DP and HP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:29 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Guys, you can hate on me all you want but here's my 2-cents on the $35 price...

The price charged is based on what the market will bear. Based on many notes from Paul at HP, we all know the cost to run a ride park is crazy expensive. The liability insurance alone would keep most sane people out of the business.

So, we don't have many places to ride and not much is within an hour of Atlanta so that works to MM's favor. Most of us have spent at least $5K on a nice bike, $1K on riding gear and then $20K-$30K on a truck and trailer. What's the difference between $25 or $35 to ride? If your budget is that tight maybe you should pick a different hobby.

As for me, $35 is fair enough. I just want a place to ride ::up::

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:14 pm 
C - class
C - class

Mattholew,
No argument from me that $25 is better than $35, but it is what it is. I don't know about you but I get burned out and need variety in my riding spots. We can invest $35 on beer and snacks ::popcorn:: watching football from our couches or we can ride. I prefer to invest in riding. Come ride with me sometime. I'm out for this weekend but will be there the following weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:25 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Don’t mind these guys. Thanks for the work you are doing over at MM and for the updates. It’s nice to have more choices in our area. I’d love to see them get the power lines and other areas worked out and cleaned back up. Place definitely needs some work based on a couple weeks ago that I was out there. Not for the faint of heart for sure.