Dirt Bike Guide
Reviews
Dealer Guide - our own yellow pages!
Contact GOR Administrators
Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moto Mountain Updates
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:44 pm 
C - class
C - class

AtlMudHound—i just spoke to phil who works the checkin. Yes, open Friday so enjoy the Black Friday escape. If youre a ST guy heres an update from my ride last Saturday:
All trails are open including the Whispering Pines ST double loop and another one near it. They were 3 of the 5 i hadnt found yet. Brian H showed them to me. Theres almost always
Someone in the pits that knows the ST.
Good luck and enjoy,
Lee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:49 pm 
A - class
A - class

Lotta Throttle wrote:
AtlMudHound—i just spoke to phil who works the checkin. Yes, open Friday so enjoy the Black Friday escape. If youre a ST guy heres an update from my ride last Saturday:
All trails are open including the Whispering Pines ST double loop and another one near it. They were 3 of the 5 i hadnt found yet. Brian H showed them to me. Theres almost always
Someone in the pits that knows the ST.
Good luck and enjoy,
Lee

Thank you!!! ::notworthy::

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:26 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Ride report please.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:28 pm 
C - class
C - class

Hey Turner,
I didn't make it to MM this weekend like I hoped, but a group did on Fri and another group yesterday. Maybe they have some feedback to offer.

If you're wondering about the Whispering Pines ST I wanted to walk this weekend, it really is fine as-is. I just want to knock back a few vines and snags to keep it flowing well.

I've gone solo a few times and always find another ST'r to ride with so don't let going solo hold you back. Get a map at the check in and then look for the bright yellow and red trail head signs or orange flags. Once you're on the trail they are quite visible and easy to follow, even with the abundance of leaf litter.

I plan on being there this Sat and maybe/possibly Fri after lunch if work will slow down a bit. Keep in touch and we can connect Sat. I'm happy to guide if you need it.

Lee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:22 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Lee, thanks for all you're doing with MM. Maybe someday I'll get up there . . . .

Best,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:46 pm 
C - class
C - class

Thanks, cBob. Yes, come out some time and join us ST'rs. There's a variety of terrain and challenges to suit anyone that isn't a serious MX'r.

If you're one of those riders who likes to get a 'workout' from the ride then here's a little perspective from my ride 2 weekends ago using the Strava app to keep mileage and time: We had a group of 40 & 50 A / B riders and we kept a quick pace. We rode only the D & E ST and the tally was 22 miles, 5400' of elevation gains and 2hrs 15 mins to complete--- and none of us were in the mood for any more riding after that. We didn't touch the A, B, C or F loops and didn't really ride the D and E loops; we just stuck to the ST that we knew. I think we missed 3-5 trails on that ride but we still got a great workout.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Any maps or thoughts to make one?

09 250XC

www.getbuiltchattanoogacrossfit.com
www.nakedpretzel.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:58 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

The old Moto Mtn map should still be current. I have a PDF copy that I'll need to find tonight when I get home. A few years back, Michele '1L' posted the map so that may still be floating around the GOR site. - John

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:32 pm 
C - class
C - class

The hand out printed maps have such tiny fonts that you can’t read the trail names. A pdf of the map would solve that issue. Word was a few weeks back that the website keeper was going to post the map to their FB site. I dont FB so let us know if it’s up there.

My Strava maps do match the printed map routes, so that’s a plus. The trails are there. If I can get away from work On Friday i would like to walk the whispering pines 1 and 2 trails and prune them along with the other mystery trail that’s in the ‘median’ between the 2 D loop roads right Near the start of whispering pines 2. After those 3 trails are walked there’s 3-5 more along the gas line left to do. I need to work off a few Thanksgiving pounds ::rotf::

Last edited by Lotta Throttle on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:59 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

So for a premium fee I can ride unkept trails using a map that is illegible. ::rotf::

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:11 pm 
C - class
C - class

Hey Mattolew,
Or, you can come out and ride until your tongue hangs out? There are 18 or so ST trails already cleaned up. If you have any energy left go rip around the 5 main loops or on the gas line or on their 'mx track' or try the hill climbs? Maybe rip through the mod bogs?

Come ride with me Sat and I will do my best to show you around and not slow you down. I'm targeting a 9am arrival and leaving around 2 to catch the SEC championship game. Weather looks accommodating.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Bikes in pieces getting some overdue TLC for the 2018 racing season and the 6 hour HP Hare Scramble on Dec 31.

I'm just busting your balls. I actually prefer unprepped trail and a compass is all you need to get back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:10 pm 
C - class
C - class

No worries, I'm divorced and forfeited my jewelz long ago. Besides, if you can ride 6 hrs straight then I would definitely hold you up.

Just like Nemo learned that "all drains lead to the ocean" you will find that at MM "all trails lead back to a main loop" ie.... no need for a Finding Mattholew search party. I suggest you follow the north star if you're still out there after dark and definitely be wary of the El Chupacabras that have been spotted stalking around the Dragon's Back and Dragon's Tail ST loops ::shocked::

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:31 pm 
C - class
C - class

Fri night 12/1 update--I managed to make it up there before dark and walked/pruned both the Whispering Pines ST and the other part that is actually called Ponderosa ST. No more face slapper/neck slashers to slow you down. They are both on the left side of D loop after the gas line (and heading back North on the D loop) and both entrances are before and after the gymnastic rings thingamabobby. The trail in the median (between the fork of D loop ) is actually called High Plains Drifter and it is already prime as-is. It actually crosses over D loop and does a 180 running back towards the gas line and forks into Ponderosa which then forks into Whispering Pines. Don't let the 3-4 diamond signs fool you, these are 2 and maybe/possibly 3 diamond ST trails.
I will add trail head signs to Ponderosa and High Plains Drifter another day.

A group of us ST folk will be there at 9 ready to ride.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:11 pm 
C - class
C - class

Update 12/7: I rode with a different group of A & B riders on Sat 12/1. This ride was a bit shorter but a faster pace than my prior ride. This time we did all of the E loop ST but only rode the MotoMtn ST and Who's Ur Daddy inside the D loop ie...far less trails ridden than my previous ride.

Another buddy and I rode Whispering Pines, Ponderosa and High Plains Drifter. Strava totals for the day show 17 miles, 1.5hrs of ride time and 3729' of elevation gain total. Folks have beaten in these 3 newer trails (new to me) really well.

I rode the YZX 250 which is actually harder to ST ride than my highly modded and more comfortable CR250, so I was beaten up pretty good and in no mood to ride more trail. That 17 miles beat me up more than the prior 22 mile a few weekends ago; that is the difference proper bike setup can make. With 20 trails now walked and pruned there are more than enough trails to whoop most weekend warriors. The terrain alone will wear you out.

On deck is to walk and prune up High Plains Drifter (it has a few sections where short bars are mandatory) and then see what the Jack Rabbit ST and Libbys ST look like. If I recall correctly those were briar patch trails 2 years ago and should be great fun pruning up ::paranoia:: Once all that is done I hope to eventually cut an extreme 6+ diamond trail in some unused D loop acreage and then cut another 3-5 diamond trail in unused E loop acreage. There is steep acreage within the MM boundaries that is prime terrain for new and more difficult ST.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next