Dirt Bike Guide
Reviews
Dealer Guide - our own yellow pages!
Contact GOR Administrators
Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moto Mountain Updates
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:05 am 
GOR Assisted Living

Lotta Throttle wrote:
I know a lot of riders who would like to ride harder enduro trails but i know none that have shown up to help me to help make/maintain them. I guess most folks dont like manual labor these days? I offered 4 other trail rider dudes the chance to help in exchange for riding free for a few weekends and not a single one even replied.
Lee

Plenty offered to help years ago only to receive the same response, or straight up snubbing. Be honest and come clean here, you're the new owner.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:30 am 
D - class
D - class

Mog,
I assure you I am not the owner or an employee but if I were the owner and had the working capital I'd turn that place into Erzberg USA ::smirk:: My only interest is in challenging trails and a group of riders who like to ride them. I volunteered to clean up trails and in exchange ride free--but I have to actually work for the free rides. I realize most riders are time constrained but if someone can squeak out 3-4 hours to help then they get a free weekend. Seems fair? It's a big place but 2-3 of us could knock it out much faster than I'm going. There are another 5 or so trails I have yet to even find and walk.

Do you want to come out and help me? If I'm not out of state on Friday I plan on getting up there around 3 to nail up more signs and saw a few trees on Jacobs Ladder and clear a tree on a mystery trail near Jacobs Ladder. Heck, I have a free weekend from my better half and can stay Sat or Sun after riding and work a few hours then if you're available. All you need to do is bring loppers, they have the rest of the tools. Your $35 will be refunded.

Let me know,
Lee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:36 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Lotta Throttle wrote:
Mog,
I assure you I am not the owner or an employee but if I were the owner and had the working capital I'd turn that place into Erzberg USA ::smirk:: My only interest is in challenging trails and a group of riders who like to ride them. I volunteered to clean up trails and in exchange ride free--but I have to actually work for the free rides. I realize most riders are time constrained but if someone can squeak out 3-4 hours to help then they get a free weekend. Seems fair? It's a big place but 2-3 of us could knock it out much faster than I'm going. There are another 5 or so trails I have yet to even find and walk.

Do you want to come out and help me? If I'm not out of state on Friday I plan on getting up there around 3 to nail up more signs and saw a few trees on Jacobs Ladder and clear a tree on a mystery trail near Jacobs Ladder. Heck, I have a free weekend from my better half and can stay Sat or Sun after riding and work a few hours then if you're available. All you need to do is bring loppers, they have the rest of the tools. Your $35 will be refunded.

Let me know,
Lee

So they're paying $8.75/hr. ::up::

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:42 pm 
D - class
D - class

The owner obviously (to me, anyway) has enough money to hire people to do this kind of work. He (or she) is getting quite a bargain, having work done that literally does not cost the owner a dime. That's a pretty savvy business person (but not admirable). And after hoodooing people for so long. Not the type of person I would want to support with my dime (or sweat and calluses).

But your dime ain't my dime. Carry on, if you wish.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:18 pm 
D - class
D - class

Man, you guys have the bad blood running strong :-)

Yes, if you want to view it as helping a person that you dislike make $ then I can see your point. I do the work cause they're not exactly making more local/legal riding spots out there with trails that are actually challenging or scenic.....If this man is OK with me riding his mtns then I'm ok clearing his trails.

I hope ya'll change your minds for a weekend and come out and ride with me. A good ride might cure these ills.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:23 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Lee, I appreciate your willingness to jump in and help. At one point, I had 6 miles of ST at my house in Canton and I would spend weeks and months with my kids hand cutting trails. Just getting away from the office, email and my cell phone was enough for me.

My friend Chad Evans called me to see if we could hook up with you this coming weekend at MM. I looks like I have a family conflict but I assure you that I'll come help/ride over the couple of months.

Regards,
John Hunter
Canton Ga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:35 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Lee - just gotta say I love how you stay so positive and on point, not letting yourself get drawn down by the naysayers. I feel the same about Highland Park as you about Moto Mountain - We have "Trail Workdays" the last weekend of every month, weather permitting. I love riding there with all my heart, so I don't mind helping maintain / build trails. It's a lot of hard work, but with a good group of dirt peeps a lot of fun too...

Best to you with Moto Mountain ~ I plan to get up there again one day soon... Haven't been since it re-opened. ::up::

2009 KTM 200 XCW ~ SONNY <3

I do not regret the things I've done... I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:12 pm 
D - class
D - class

Thanks John. I spoke with Chad and he's in when his non-racing schedule lines up. I agree wholeheartedly on getting out of the office and away from phones; blazing trail just simmers me down and I don't think about anything but the trail. I look forward to riding with you guys soon.

Hey Ragamuffin, I'm pretty sure I helped you load your camper onto your hitch last year out at HP. My buddies and I still talk about that 'unicorn' lady--the mythical lady that actually loves to camp, loves to ride and has her own fleet of bikes and a camper ready to go. We were floored.

As for HP, they do a fantastic job of maintaining trails and communicating with the rider base. If MM was run 1/4 as well as HP we would all benefit greatly. I have no input with MM's owner so I just do the best I can given the situation, but I'm thankful he is OK with me working his trails. I noticed he's dropping coin on building new shed/cabanas and sprucing up the parking lots so it appears he's interested in making a go of it. The place has so much potential to satisfy every riding style that I hope he makes something good of it. Come join me out there when you can, I really think you would enjoy the challenges and scenery.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:26 am 
D - class
D - class

Now I feel bad for what I said. Good for you people who want to help them out. It looks like they need help on teaching them how to run a business, probably not because they need money, obviously they don't, but because they are trying to make a nice place to ride. We all need good places to ride. I may ride there again once they get it in more operable shape. Oh, and when they come down on their price. Keep up the good work, people who are helping them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:40 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

[quote="Lotta Throttle"]Hey Ragamuffin, I'm pretty sure I helped you load your camper onto your hitch last year out at HP. My buddies and I still talk about that 'unicorn' lady--the mythical lady that actually loves to camp, loves to ride and has her own fleet of bikes and a camper ready to go. We were floored. [quote]

Awwwww that's one of the coolest things anyone has ever said to me! ::embarrassed:: Thanks Lee!! But don't say much about me having a "fleet of bikes" lol ~ that happens because I've been known to accidently ride off on someone else's bike ::duh:: I do remember meeting you and your friends! Good group of guys ::up:: See you soon!!!

2009 KTM 200 XCW ~ SONNY <3

I do not regret the things I've done... I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:12 pm 
D - class
D - class

Hey Burt,
Nothing to feel bad about, it's all good. More riding options is a win for all of us and that's a big reason why I pitch in. Variety is good for us dirt folk.

Keep in mind that all the D & E loop ST trails between the power line and the old Motorcycle Bobs are open and ready to ride. It probably doesn't bother others but my OCD flares up at deadfall, shrubbery and vines that impede my ST ride flow; so that's what I've been working on clearing. The key to finding the ST trails is to trust the hand out map Phil can give you at check-in and then not go full throttle on the D and E loops. Just go slower and look around, many of the yellow and red signs are still there along with orange ribbon and the old white Moose Racing paper signs. I'm hoping to get up there tomorrow before dark:thirty to nail up a few more trail head signs.

Come out Sat if you can. It will take us a good 2-3 hours just to ride 1 lap around the D & E trails I've found--and I don't even know what's over on A, B or C or F loops.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:45 pm 
D - class
D - class

Fri -Sun was quite productive at MotoMtn. I nailed up many more signs and ALL 7 of the E loop ST trails are currently cleared of annoying snags and stinging face slappers. A 2 stroke Ryobi and Fiskar loppers helped put an end to that nonsense. These trails are 3-5 diamond and blend fast with challenging technical sections and the ever present steep hills that make MM a joy to ride.

D Loop ST is even more challenging and offers longer trails and bigger hills. The leaf litter on Sat made every hill on 'motomtn trail' a fiasco but well worth the effort. You know you've completed BOTH sections of motomtn trail when you start it:
-- just off the D loop at the Canyon Carver trail
-- cross a rocky 4 wheeler shortcut road
--ride up and down about 5 ridges and down a creek
--cross over the D loop for a short pine section ride
--
get back on the D loop for 20 yards
--then make a hard left behind the wooden grandstands onto
--motomtn trail Part 2
--then winding around a hardwood ridge to another pine section
--cross a mud bog 4 wheeler feeder road into the next pine section
--and eventually terminate at the D loop directly across from the start of 'whos ur daddy' ST.
These 2 trails combined will take anywhere from 45 mins to 3 hours to complete depending on your skill level and are best suited to 'B' or 'A' level riders. If you want your money's worth for the day then definitely ride these before you leave--but only if you have what it takes to make it out of there. It gets creepy and cold out there after dark, trust me ::up::

Sunday was a rain day so I cleaned up part 2 of motomtn trail, the log hop on who's ur daddy and put up some wrong way signs here and there. However, there was a posse of unstoppable ST riders led by Chad that were giving motomtn trail a workout--or it was the other way around.

B and C loops are a blast and one can carry plenty of speed around them thanks to the awesome wall berms. Just keep in mind that there can be slower riders on them. Be aware before twisting that loud handle.

FWIW, those "W" signs along the main loops mean WRONG WAY. I was never sure about them but can see them being interpreted as Trail 'W' which might explain how folks get turned around when coming off the feeder roads onto the main loops. It would be nice to replace ALL those confusing signs with the words 'wrong way'!

I hope to make it this Sat or Sunday if anyone is up for a few hours of hard trail time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:41 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Thanks Lee, more great news. Chad texted Sunday night and said that MM is better than ever. ::up::

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:12 pm 
D - class
D - class

Hey JHunter,
I plan to be there this Sat unless my lady or the weather brings me back to reality. I may be out of town on Sunday.

Yes, Chad knows the ST well as does Matt S and Denny S who I believe come around this forum from time to time. There's usually 1-2 riders in the parking lot that know many of the ST trails--just look for the enduro bikes with shredded plastic, dinged pipes and cracked fenders. Of the roughly 20 ST at least 15 are marked at the entrances pretty well. I still have work to do with the ST on both sides of the D loop starting at the gas line and then following the D loop for about 1 mile . There are 3-5 more ST on both sides there that still need trail head signs.

Hope to see you there. I usually park on the D and E loop sides.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:40 am 
A - class
A - class

Does anyone know if Moto Mountain will be open on Friday 11/22/17?

Or do you have a number to call to find out?

Internet results are inconclusive ::duh::

Me and my friends have a tradition of riding on Black Friday and would like to visit them. This place is great!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next