Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hi all!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:22 am 
D - class
D - class

Gonna start a proper thread as not to hijack 08mojo's thread.

Hi! My name's Sandy, I'm 37 and so new to this that my first bike's not even mine yet! I came across this site looking for mx stores in ATL and was struck by y'alls wonderful sense of community.

I guess I'll blabber a bit on my moto motives. Ever since I was a little girl I've been interested in forms of transportation. Dad and I built model airplanes together (a hobby I still keep), went to train museums, sat at the old Sears store parking lot in Marietta and watched the jets land at Dobbins..you get the picture. What I really wanted though, was a motorcycle. And that was a Bad Thing in my parents' eyes. I had to promise them I'd never get one. One of my cousins was killed on one, another paralyzed from the waist down. So I tucked away my Ninja photos and abstained.

A couple of years ago I found myself in a bad place mentally and realized that all my life I'd been living my life to make other people happy, I was miserable. So I started to change. Went back to school to study commercial photography, started a graphic design business with my husband, started to realize I could be successful on my own terms. And then my friend started posting videos of herself on her KTM. Man that looked like fun. I traded my Ninja pics in for Suzukis and Huskies and am finally realizing one of my earliest dreams. I may never get to be an Air Force pilot or astronaut now, but dammit I can ride!

If you read all that, thanks! It's extremely cathartic to get it all out. If you skipped it, no probs, just a bit of rambling. Sooo yeah, nice to meet you guys!

Post subject: Re: Hi all!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:48 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Good to have your here and in the motorcycle world! ::up::

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:08 pm 
KTM GURU

Welcome to GOR Sandy! Once you have that bike, you might check into Ladies Spa Days at Highland Park. Lots of fun and not hard at all. ::paranoia::

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

If you find yourself going through He11, keep going!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:14 pm 
D - class
D - class

Thanks for the welcome wingam! Paul Wright, I had a peek over there yesterday. Figured I'd start here and work my way to spa days!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:24 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

You lost me at transportation,.....but I regrouped and got through the rest of it. ::cheers::
Yep, you’re I kind of people. :D

Welcome,… oh, who’s you friend with vids of her KTM?

How do you go so fast?
"Ya just got to take your brains out really, and hit stuff as hard as you can".
Johnny Walker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:54 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Best introduction I have ever seen on here!

Welcome to a really great group of people! Before you buy a bike you might be able to get linked up with a few of the girls on here and try out their bikes. Ragamuffin doesnt call hers "Magic Man" for no reason ::smirk::

Like Paul said, Spa day is a great opportunity to get out and meet some fellow female dirt bikers of all skill levels while improving your own skills.

Good luck with it all and maybe we will cross paths on the trails ::up::

Hebrews 12: 1-2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:21 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

sevencurses wrote:
Dad and I built model airplanes together (a hobby I still keep), went to train museums, sat at the old Sears store parking lot in Marietta and watched the jets land at Dobbins.. . .
Sounds like a great childhood. ::yippie:: Unique.

sevencurses wrote:
I may never get to be an Air Force pilot or astronaut . . .
Wanna bet? Fly a dirt bike for 1/10,000th the cost!

Spa Days are fun and an excellent ::up:: training tool, but you might want to check out the MSF Dirt Bike School in Alpharetta first -
http://www.offroad-training.org/1DirtBike-Schedule.html
Unlearn any bad habits you might have picked up, or learn the right technique from the start. Several instructors are female so you won't get a drill sergeant and for sure macho guys don't take the course so you end up with students that really want to learn. One day will take you from Goon Squad to Pro! ::smirk::

And welcome to GOR! ::cheers::

Best,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:15 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Welcome to GOR and the wonderful world of dirt bikes. Sorry it took so long to post, but somehow I missed this one until today! There are several ladies who ride at HP who didn't pick up this great sport until we were old enough to know better - and we are all making up for lost time!

My husband and I, along with most of the rest of our "dirty friends" are at Highland Park most weekends (usually Saturdays for us). We would love to meet you and show you around and introduce you to the "folks". When we are there, we park near the cabins -either in the grassy area by the fence or right behind the cabins. We drive a white Ford F150. Both have KTM's numbered 114.

And Spa Days are a blast. They are tough (don't let P-Dub fib to you), but they are some of the best times I've had on a dirt bike. We all pull together and get each other through it - and we have an absolute blast doing it. I love that you don't have to be great at riding to enjoy it. I speak from experience! And we have a great "Hubby club" that gathers when we have our Spa Day. They ride a lot and also try to sneak a peek at what we are up to occasionally.

Please come say HI if you see us around.

'12 KTM 250 XC+ #114
'08 Beta Rev3 125

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:55 pm 
D - class
D - class

Thanks, you guys are super sweet! cbob, signed up for the Alpharetta course just now. I will fly the Goon Squad flag proudly! ;)

Dixie Darlin, thanks for the invite. I have a few busy weekends in front of me but I do plan to make it up, with or without bike. It's still sans carb at the moment.

I have grey hair and a mohawk and I tend to be a bit shy but I will do my damndest to overcome that and say hi!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:32 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Welcome sevencurses!

Shyness doesn't last long around this crowd, your shell will disappear in no time as you realize what a great bunch of folks hang out here and at the local riding spots.

Look up Ragamuffin, something tells me you two will have lots to talk and laugh about!

'99 CR250R
'00 Warrior 350
'90 220 Bayou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:13 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Welcome Girl!! Looking forward to meeting you! And so happy to read you signed up for the Alpharetta course ~ that's exactly how I got started ::up:: and the rest is history! I'm also usually at HP with the rest of the crew; so give us a heads up when you are heading that way... And Paul is very good at tailoring Spa Day to all skill levels; so come on out ~ it's full of fun, learning, laughing and cheering each other on ::cheer::

And my bike's name really is "Magic Man" ::smirk:: LOL

2009 KTM 200 XCW ~ SONNY <3

I do not regret the things I've done... I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:30 am 
D - class
D - class

Yikes, missed your reply Ragamuffin! Love the bike name ::up::

I did the MSF course on Saturday and it was so completely awesome. They put me on a 125cc bike and I had no idea how much fun it was going to be. I was absolutely terrified at first, that surprised me, but I worked through it and ended up having a blast. I've got a ton of new skills I need to work on. Went out to my friend's house yesterday and learned how to take apart a carb and clean it, then learned how to take off forks and front wheel. I can't wait till I get that first ride on the 35o!