Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wanting to get back into riding
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:56 am 
D - class
D - class

I've been riding motorcycles on and off for around 37 years throw in a couple of atv's in that time. My last motorcycle was an XR 650. So the last time I rode was 10 years ago. I rode it on quite a few trail systems around Georgia. And now I have the bug again, and I want to get my 15 year old son a motorcycle as well. So I'm looking for a couple of used motorcycles to do some trail riding. I Am thinking about a Yamaha 230 for him. I am not sure about myself,. My XR had decent power but it was a little heavy for trail use. I have been thinking about anything from a 250 to a 500 four-stroke . I think I have it narrowed down to Yamaha Wr and KTM exc, xc-f. Questions and comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Terry

Post subject: Re: Wanting to get back into riding
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:36 am 
C - class
C - class

My response is painted in broad strokes....

Assume you're going to buy a few years old and that you'll be the "mechanic" working on the bikes. That said it's really hard to beat a 2t.

The XR650 you had was a pig.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:56 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

+1 on what ROCKETMAN said

It's really hard to beat a 2 stroke.
You said he was 15, but it really depends on how tall he is & how much he weighs. Based on the height & weight of most 15yr old dirt bike kids, I'd suggest something between a 100cc-150cc 2 stroke.
I'd say something between a 200cc-300cc 2stroke for yourself.

09 YZ250 (265 Woods Weapon)
06 CRF250R- Sold (No more 4Joke)
RM144 - The newest addition (She's purdy)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:30 pm 
KTM GURU

The two strokes are easier on the wallet, and less trouble to maintain, but any good, reliable bike will do to get back into riding. Quite likely you will buy different bikes in a year or two if you start riding much, especially if you buy an entry level bike like a Honda 230 or Yamaha 230. You can also rent bikes before you buy to see how your 15 yr old takes to a 4 stroke vs a 2 stroke.

Good luck with the bike search, and I hope you and your son have lots of great times riding soon! ::applause::

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:27 am 
GOR Assisted Living

R0CKETMAN wrote:
Don't sugar coat it, Rocketman. Let him know what you really think!

Just getting back in is the main thing. The bike you choose today will get traded for cobwebs or a more capable machine tomorrow. OTOH, getting your 15 yo into something he's comfortable with but won't outgrow too fast is the trick. And keep him away from girls! Well, unless she rides too (that's a keeper).

The good folks at Pro Line can help you choose, and they usually have a few used machines for sale. Good folks, too. They're at Langley Dr & US78, just West of Rosebud Rd. They're supposed to be moving soon.

Good luck and welcome to Georgia Off Road!

Best,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:17 pm 
D - class
D - class

R0CKETMAN wrote:
My response is painted in broad strokes....Assume you're going to buy a few years old and that you'll be the "mechanic" working on the bikes. That said it's really hard to beat a 2t. The XR650 you had was a pig.

Easy, my pig served it's purpose. But you are correct. I have a mental block as far as 2 strokes go. I've had good times and bad times on 2 strokes.

wes_#10 wrote:
+1 on what ROCKETMAN saidIt's really hard to beat a 2 stroke. You said he was 15, but it really depends on how tall he is & how much he weighs. Based on the height & weight of most 15yr old dirt bike kids,  I'd suggest something between a 100cc-150cc 2 stroke.I'd say something between a 200cc-300cc 2stroke for yourself.

He is around 6' and skinny.

Paul Wright wrote:
The two strokes are easier on the wallet, and less trouble to maintain, but any good, reliable bike will do to get back into riding.  Quite likely you will buy different bikes in a year or two if you start riding much, especially if you buy an entry level bike like a Honda 230 or Yamaha 230. You can also rent bikes before you buy to see how your 15 yr old takes to a 4 stroke vs a 2 stroke.   Good luck with the bike search, and I hope you and your son have lots of great times riding soon!  ::applause::

Good points I thought about going out to hp and renting a couple of bikes.

cbob wrote:
R0CKETMAN wrote:
Don't sugar coat it, Rocketman.  Let him know what you really think!Just getting back in is the main thing.  The bike you choose today will get traded for cobwebs or a more capable machine tomorrow.  OTOH, getting your 15 yo into something he's comfortable with but won't outgrow too fast is the trick.  And keep him away from girls!  Well, unless she rides too (that's a keeper).  The good folks at Pro Line can help you choose, and they usually have a few used machines for sale.  Good folks, too.  They're at Langley Dr & US78, just West of Rosebud Rd.  They're supposed to be moving soon.  Good luck and welcome to Georgia Off Road!Best,- c bob

Oh how true.  We live 10 minutes from Pro Line. 

Thank yall
Terry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:45 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Based on your history and your sons age and size:

You: KTM 300XC-W
Son: KTM 150XC-W

No need to upgrade or worry about high cost of ownership over a long period of time. The bikes have everything you will ever need and can literally do it all.

I have a 2014 KTM 250XC that I bought from Paul's guys at KTM World, and it is without a doubt the best bike I have ever owned (after I got the 4CS fork tuned). Its the ultimate woods race bike. I had a 300XC for a short stint before the 250xc and I prefer the 250 over the 300 for racing. I prefer the 300 over the 250 for recreational trail riding.

For me, the ultimate recreational trail riding machine would be a 300XC-W with electric start and a Clake 2 Left Hand Clutch Brake set up, and maybe a Rekluse, but that would be a bit overkill with the Clake 2 set up, but would be really good for if you want to be REAL LAZY on the bike. :D

If the two listed above are too aggressive or snappy for you guys (and that's not a put down, its just a preference of riding style and what you find enjoyable), I would seriously look into a Free Ride 250R for both of you. Its like a perfect blend that makes it really good for beginners, or people who want to ride at slower paces, or in highly technical areas. I would like to own one actually for when I want to just go mess around. They are super light, and super simple, no potential high cost maintenance or rebuilds either.

Just my .02. Good luck and welcome back to the dirt biker fold.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:52 am 
D - class
D - class

Thanks for the input to help my search for a dirt bike. I finally found one in my price range. It's a 2006 KTM 250xcw. Now I need to get out and ride.