Contact GOR Administrators
Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sumter National Results
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:51 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

SETRA results for Sumter National are posted. Season points are updated up to Sumter. Check out the Results page for details!
https://setra.org/points/

For the full National roster check out Sumter National results at LiveLaps.com
https://livelaps.com/clients/?1370

How about a 2 sec difference after 6 sections between Steward Baylor and Kailub Russell for overall? Followed 47 sec later with Bad Thad Duvall and Russell Bobbitt 6 sec after him. Talk about some tight racing!

And ONE Yamaha in the top 10 . . . . .

Going to be an interesting season. ::popcorn::

Best,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

Post subject: Re: Sumter National Results
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:37 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I raced Sumter this year for the first time and it was my first enduro. Well I attempted it last year and had a mechanical failure so this is the first year I ran the entire race. I ran all the sections and had a blast. Just wish there were more of these within reasonable driving distance.

We had a great pit crew (the wives and Matti) meet us at all the restarts. It made for a great day for everyone. They said they were hauling butt down a dirt road and looked over and actually saw me weaving my way through the trees. Pretty cool.

2016 KTM 250sx
2013 KTM 250sx
2014 KTM 350sxf (SOLD)
2012 KTM 500 XC-W (SOLD)

Light shines brightest in the dark!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:30 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Matt,

Have you ever ran a Full Gas Sprint Enduro? If not, I HIGHLY recommend it.

I ran one for the first time this weekend. Hands down the most fun racing I have done to date. If you haven't tried one, I HIGHLY recommend hitting the one at Echoconee in two weeks. You wont be sorry. Make sure you take a couple race pals so that you can bench race between tests.

I'd be at the next one if I hadn't already planned a Mardi Gras trip with my family. Or actually, its more like I'd be there if I wouldn't get divorced for going.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:34 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Mattholew wrote:
Matt,

I ran one for the first time this weekend. Hands down the most fun racing I have done to date. If you haven't tried one, I HIGHLY recommend hitting the one at Echoconee in two weeks. You wont be sorry. Make sure you take a couple race pals so that you can bench race between tests.

I'd be at the next one if I hadn't already planned a Mardi Gras trip with my family. Or actually, its more like I'd be there if I wouldn't get divorced for going.

Me and a buddy have been talking about going. I was going to message you on FB and get your opinion. It sounds like a lot of fun, but we are curious about the different tests.

What were the different tests like?

2016 KTM 250sx
2013 KTM 250sx
2014 KTM 350sxf (SOLD)
2012 KTM 500 XC-W (SOLD)

Light shines brightest in the dark!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:54 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

2 loops. One woods, one, think grass track type course. Except yesterdays was sand, not grass. I believe their site says the enduro test is a 3-5 mile loop 80% trail and 20% field type. The "cross test" is open grass course type, fully ribboned 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 minute loop. You run them both 3 times each day, alternating loops. Second day ran the same, but backwards. They did do some minor rerouting. First day was learning curve, second day was much more relaxed, as is any race you hit for the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:03 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Gasholio wrote:
Mattholew wrote:
Matt,

Me and a buddy have been talking about going. I was going to message you on FB and get your opinion. It sounds like a lot of fun, but we are curious about the different tests.

What were the different tests like?

Here is a video of Ryan Sypes burning through the Cross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j4zr9dH4xw

I'll see if I can find a video of the Enduro Test

But basically there are two courses that start and end all at the same point. One side is the Cross Test which is Open, mostly pasture-field type stuff. The other is the Enduro Test through woods, mostly two lane wide (SORCS style) with a little single track thrown in. There is ALWAYS Yellow ribbon on the right and white ribbon on the left. You MUST stay within the ribbon no matter what. There are no hot lanes allowed and there is no 25' rule like in Hare Scramble. The courses are kind of short at about 2.5-5 miles usually. Each Test takes anywhere from 6-10 minutes typically. This weekend the Cross Test was about a 6 minute'ish time and the Enduro was a 9 minute'ish time.

What I LOVED about it was that you don't have to be registered the second the registration opens in order to get a good starting position like in National Enduro and there are no row number advantages to be had when competing against your class competitors. You all run back to back on the same trail condition.

Everyone starts within the same block of time, one after the other, and there is a clock that counts down from 15 seconds, you can start your run anytime within that 15 seconds but not after. They ask that you make sure there is a minimum of 5-10 seconds between you and the guy that left in front of you. i.e. if he leaves with 2 seconds left on the count down clock, they don't want you to leave at 14 seconds on your clock, they would like for you to wait until at least 13 or less seconds are left on your countdown. Typically all the guys in my class left on about 5 seconds and therefore put a consistent 15 seconds between us.

The first two tests you line up in assigned class number order, i.e. 501-502-503 etc and after those two tests are complete they will line you up in order based on finishing time, this way, unless you ride faster than the test before, you will probably not run into anyone on the trail. Unless, you are running up front in your class where you will find the slower riders from the previous classes. I was usually 3rd or 4th in 40B so I would always catch the last two or three riders in the 30B class and have to make a pass on each one. Sometimes this would cost me time, but mostly it did not. If you manage to catch the guy in front of you that's in your class, you know that you have gained time on him and are making progress to take over his current place position if the time gap isn't greater than 15 seconds.

Because they had 340 racers in the race this weekend, you would end up with about 30 minutes between Tests to take a break, get a drink, make adjustments, replace broken clutch master cylinders (Thanks Woody Bramlett! :D ).

Here is what I really learned this weekend:

Sprint Enduro = you can be more out of shape and still be competitive because of the short runs (the guy that beat me out of third, I have beaten earlier this year at a SORCS event by 5:18, he nosed me out of 3rd place by about 40 seconds I think). Your stamina and endurance training is not as helpful here as it is in Hare Scramble. You can't allow yourself to ride the way you would in a hare scramble where you pull back the intensity at times in order to save energy. You need to be very aggressive from start to finish. Its also more important to run a clean race than with Hare Scramble. A wreck, stall or missed turn that takes you off the track can be detrimental because errors are more costly because time deficits are harder to make up. If your competition is not making errors he is going to gain time on you and visa versa, if you run clean you will gain time just from their errors (if they make any).

Hopefully that all paints a picture for you. If you can make it to the one at Echoconee in two weeks, I'd recommend you do it and see for yourself.

In a nutshell the series are named perfectly, just think about field and track differences between Cross Country Runners and Sprint Distance Runners. For sprint it pays to be powerful and aggressive for short periods of time. For Cross Country it pays to be lean, efficient and smart about the duration and timing of energy exertion. Two very different disciplines.