Create Your Badge

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Noob looking for input
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:35 pm 
D - class
D - class

Hi all,

New to the forum and looking to get into hare scrambles, plan to do the SORCS series starting January racing in the 250C 45+. I'm just getting back into riding again after a 20 year hiatus been back at it for 6 weeks now and just bought a 2015 KTM 250 XCF-W

Looking to know what to expect since this will be my first time even attending one of these.
1. What is the duration of the races.
2. Should I plan on needing to refuel.
3. Will there be a pit and do I need support.

Any other input is greatly appreciated. My skill level is basically beginner level but was very high 20 years ago and it is indeed coming back to me quickly and I'll be building that until first race. My fitness level is fairly good I've been racing mountain bikes and adventure races for the past 10 years and while I understand the endurance needed will be different I at least have a base built.

Looking forward to any and all input and thanks in advance.

Greg

Post subject: Re: Noob looking for input
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:39 pm 
KTM GURU

Very unlikely you will need more than a single tankful of fuel at a SORCS race with a KTM 250XCFW. The races are about 2 hours (40 miles or so), depending on how fast you ride.

Welcome to GOR and welcome back to riding!

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

If you find yourself going through He11, keep going!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:26 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

The pit area is wherever you decide to set your gas can next to the track. Popular spot is right after the scoring tent somewhere because it is usually wide there. No need for a crew if you don't mind pouring your own. If you set your stuff near where everyone else is, a quick shout out or discussion before the race will probably get you some help. It's a pretty good group of people.
And welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:00 am 
GOR Assisted Living

ColonelFalcon wrote:
. . . . . My skill level is basically beginner level but was very high 20 years ago and it is indeed coming back to me quickly and I'll be building that until first race. My fitness level is fairly good I've been racing mountain bikes and adventure races for the past 10 years and while I understand the endurance needed will be different I at least have a base built.

Looking forward to any and all input and thanks in advance.

Greg
With your mtn bike experience you might try some enduros where you feel like a train wreck day after the race. Because of the distance from home and early start time (first rider starts at 9am) it's more of a weekend trip. If the race is a national (Sumter, Cherokee) you only race 4 sections (pretty easy to do) but there's no reason you can't ride the full race (6 sections). You'll need to join AMA and SETRA (for the non-nationals) but doing so opens up a whole new gambit of racing.

SORCS doesn't have an annual membership. AMA is 1 yr membership, so if you join in November 2016 it's good until November 2017. Wait and join at the race. SETRA membership is July-June so if you join now it gets that expense out of the way (less than a tank of truck gas!) and can even make a great Christmas present from a loved one. And every SETRA race you get a $10 gift card from Rocky Mountain MC! ::up::

SORCS are 90 minutes long and laid out with a skid steer (wide & fast). SETRA HS are more enduro-like plus you'll get more seat time (2 hours). Either way you can have a blast.

BTW, enduros are typically 5 hours long but with resets (mini rest periods along the route) the seat time is probably 3 hours+.

Welcome to GOR and welcome back to motorized!

Best,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:04 am 
GOR Assisted Living

And what does mtn bike experience have to do with any of that? Falcon, this is cbob. Get used to the shameless plugs for setra. :D I'm still waiting on a few of those fuel cards btw. ::up::

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:21 pm 
D - class
D - class

I'm 47 and just started racing sorcs last year. I race 45c. The races are a blast with some being better than others. This year some of the laps were shorter but the races for our class are about 32 to 40 miLes. Practice your dead engine starts. That's the toughest part for me. Highland park has some great hare scrambles too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:25 am 
GOR Assisted Living

mog wrote:
And what does mtn bike experience have to do with any of that? Falcon, this is cbob. Get used to the shameless plugs for setra. :D I'm still waiting on a few of those fuel cards btw. ::up::
Mtn bike builds legs, cardio and endurance duh ::duh::

Be sure to use the singular sense. One hare scramble (no enduros) this + last season doesn't entitle you to "those fuel cards" that your son, not you, raced. But for HS I didn't get any either (it's a problem). Enduros were 100% last season, or $90 worth. This season is starting out slow but we're working on it and should still be 100%.

and just so we don't miss that "shamless plug" you'll even get a $10 Rocky Mountain gas card just for joining SETRA.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Falcon.

Best,
- c bob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:10 am 
GOR Assisted Living

More than 1 kid, more than one race, more than 1 year. Hope you guys get it worked out. For others, not us. We've written them off.

See how much fun ColonelFalcon?! ::smirk:: ::smirk:: ::up::

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:49 am 
GOR Assisted Living

mog wrote:
More than 1 kid, more than one race, more than 1 year. Hope you guys get it worked out. For others, not us. We've written them off.

See how much fun ColonelFalcon?! ::smirk:: ::smirk:: ::up::
You're right. I got to # 1 son racing minis and missed # 2 son racing a different mini class. So for 2015-2016 season your sons have raced 2 of your closest venues for 3 races total and for 2014-2015 3 more races at the same 2 venues. And # 2 son wasn't even a member 2014-15. So over 2 seasons and 42 races your sons raced minis as SETRA members 5 times, or 12% of the available races . . . . and you've written SETRA off?

WHY? And please be specific. Unknown problems can't be fixed.

SETRA doesn't run the races. SETRA is a sanctioning body that sponsors a series and rewards it's riders for riding the series. Are you blaming SETRA for something local promoters did?

And why are you so angry at SETRA when no one in your family raced a season?

Maybe we should continue this by PM as I don't want ColonelFalcon spitting his coffee out in laughter. Your choice. SETRA isn't perfect, especially the mini program, but don't put forward a public image that isn't there.

Back to the Gas Card program . . . . . I wasn't involved in that for 2014-2015 and we couldn't get SETRA ID's from the local hare scramble scorekeeper (not part of SETRA) for 2015-2016. But for enduros we've rewarded our members 100% for their events last season and have every expectation for doing the same this season. ::applause::

Just for public viewing, here's a photo of Cade Henderson who won his mini class last year. NOT PICTURED is his huge season trophy and a ton of other swag.

Every time I look at this I can't get over that grin. He's a lucky kid in so many ways. ::up::

Respectfully,
- c bob
SETRA Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:56 am 
GOR Assisted Living

No, no, no. Before I read the whole thing, we wrote the fuel cars off. Sorry, after looking at that, it could be read like you took it. Just meant I wasn't actually still expecting fuel cards to show up from since you began that program.

edit: now that I've read the whole thing, no anger here. We(I consider my wallet and my kid riding "we") did race a season, just not last 2. And I will say they do give a lot to the kids at banquet time. As do most of the series. The way it should be. ::up::

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:48 pm 
Sasquatch Teddybear

Thats what I thought.....Squirrell arse whoopins are shameful ::rotf:: ::rotf:: ::rotf::

Play nice fellas...or I'll shut it down ::smirk::

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:59 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Pleeease.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:22 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Greg,

Welcome!

I started racing this year after a nearly 20 year long hiatus as well. I raced a little motocross back in the Marines around 1998. I was never "fast" but I was pretty competent and able to win a few C class 250 races way back when.

I turned 40 in April this year, so I wasn't eligible to race a 40+ class since they base it off your age on January 1st. Because of all that I was advised to race 30+C. It was a pretty good fit after all. The younger guys in that class forced me to work hard and race hard. I ended up winning the overall championship in the end but it was a battle all the way which made it interesting and fun. So if you intend to race the entire series, and you were decently fast last time you rode or raced, and you only need to get back into race shape, you may want to drop down an age bracket or two or bump up to a B class so that its more competitive and fulfilling for you. There is no fun in running away with the race every single time or killing the motivation of less skilled riders that would really enjoy a win of their own. If there isn't someone there to challenge you, you might get bored with it quickly.

I chose the SORCS series this year after much deliberation on all the available series. So I think you are looking in the right direction. The courses are a lot of fun with a good mix of quad wide and "I'm not sure how quads are going to fit through this" size trails but rarely if any bar banging sapling thicket type stuff. I like these courses a lot because you can get into a flow and a groove and really romp on it a lot as well.

Like Paul said, since you have an XC tank, you shouldn't have to pit at all. I always have fuel left in my 250XC after each race.

Good Luck. See you at the races!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:30 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

cbob wrote:

Every time I look at this I can't get over that grin. He's a lucky kid in so many ways. ::up::

Respectfully,
- c bob
SETRA Board Member

Yeah, what a lucky kid. I'm sure he will never forget that. That's awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:14 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

I'm so happy to see everyone getting along. I'll sleep soundly tonight. This has been so informative. I'm certain my IQ was raised notch or two.