Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stolen: 2002 F250 Crew Diesel, Haulmark Trailer, & BMW Adv
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:57 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Stolen from my driveway on the northeast side of Atlanta this morning - Sept 5th:

2002 Ford F250 Super Duty – Crew Cab – 7.3l Diesel w/ SnugTop shell
GA License PKR8634
(RECOVERED Sept 6th - Mostly Intact)

2004 Haulmark Edge Low Hauler – 6x12
GA License TL2V257
(RECOVERED Sept 6th - Mostly Intact)

2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (inside the trailer)
GA License YC21NT
(RECOVERD Sept 7th - Minor Crash Damage, No Tag)

In addition to what you see in the picture, the truck also had canoe racks on the bed topper and Yakima bicyle racks on the cab. Also lots of other good diesel truck parts. The trailer has all of the normal tie-downs, stands, and tools, plus two Snap-On cabinets.

The BMW Adventure is equipped to tour the world: Ohlins, custom seat, roadbook holder, TT GPS mount, aux lights, trailer hitch, etc., etc.

I had just picked the bike up from the dealer in Buford ($3,000 service) on Friday and didn’t get everything unloaded and locked up because we had company all Labor Day weekend. It appears that someone drove off with the truck and trailer just before daylight this morning.

Please be on the lookout.

Thanks, Lee
Four – oh – four * 989 * Oh – eight – four - Oh

Last edited by leeo45 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Stolen: 2002 F250 Crew Diesel, Haulmark Trailer, & BMW Adv
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:08 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

So sorry about this!! I will copy your info and post on my Facebook page as well.

Prayers you get everything back in good condition and those losers go down!

Posted on Facebook and I've had 47 friends share to their pages ~ all throughout SC and TENN as well.

2009 KTM 200 XCW ~ SONNY <3

I do not regret the things I've done... I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:06 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Semi-favorable Update this morning (Sept 6th):

Atlanta Police found the truck and trailer abandoned on a small back road in SW Atlanta. Police said the ignition lock had been pulled from the steering column and the all of the lock hasps had been cut on the trailer. The motorcycle was gone. I don’t know yet about any other damage or missing equipment. Hopefully I will be able to pick the truck and trailer up from the towing company later today. According to the tow truck driver, the truck runs fine and I don’t even need a pesky key to start it anymore; just a knife or screwdriver.

Based on a couple of non-specific comments by the police and the towing company drivers, I am guessing this was probably the ring of thieves who are stealing dirt bikes from the north suburbs and riding them illegally on the streets in Atlanta. They probably thought they were stealing some KTM dirt bikes. They got a 600 pound BMW adventure bike instead. I am hoping the BMW is very obvious and out of place in that environment or perhaps they may not know what to do with it and will make some kind of mistake trying to sell it. I am watching Craigslist and have set up search notifications on eBay. I am not overly optimistic about the bike, but hopefully this is not the end of the story.

Thanks to everyone who is on the lookout.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

When I see this, I find myself, without cussing too much, thinking of words that define a thief. Words like scumbag, etc, are charitable.
Lee, with the good work of people like Ragamuffin and others, maybe you'll be able to get back everything pretty much intact. I hope so.
And kudos to sharp-eyed law enforcement, who kept your rig from being stolen twice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:56 am 
GOR Assisted Living

Dirt wrote:
And kudos to sharp-eyed law enforcement, who kept your rig from being stolen twice.
or parted out . . . . .

Glad you got most of it back. It's hard to find a good truck.

When is the next illegal street ride?

Best,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:14 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

UPDATE – Sept 7th :

Received a call that Atlanta Police found the bike parked on the side of the road in south Atlanta. Sounds like my guess and hoped for scenario may play out. No info on condition other than the tag is missing.

I am headed off with the screwdriver ignition key in my newly recovered truck and trailer to get the vehicle release on the far side of town, then to the towing company on the south side to recover the bike. Hoping for the best on bike condition.

Thanks again to everyone who was looking out for the bike and spreading the word.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:32 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Awesome. Hope the bike is in good condition. ::applause::

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:08 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

wildtrax1 wrote:
Awesome. Hope the bike is in good condition. ::applause::

I got the bike home this afternoon. No parts are missing. I am fortunate that the bike was picked up by a much more professional company than the truck and trailer. There is some minor crash damage where the thief apparently went down on the left side at fairly low speed. The primary damage is the left valve cover protector. There are minor scrapes on the left crash bars and luggage rack, the left front turn signal is bent, and the left handguard is cracked. I think the valve cover guard is the only thing I will need to replace.

As far as I can tell, the only things I am missing from the whole episode were taken from the cab of the truck after it was at the first towing company; probably about $700 worth of items. Plus the bike tag, the $460 paid to the towing companies and whatever it costs to have the steering column and locks repaired on the truck and trailer. It seems the original truck/bike thieves were very focused, in an almost courteous way. For example, they pulled the tie-down loops off the bike and left them in the trailer. They even locked the steering on the bike when they abandoned it. Unfortunately, I suppose they could still have the key.

Thanks again to everyone who was looking for these older, but expensive to replace vehicles.

Lee O'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:31 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Thieves thought they were getting a sweet 250 lb KTM they could wheelie around. Instead they got a 600 lb BMW they couldn't handle. Yah, they got a tag so their asphalt dirt bike might look legit.

Seems like the towing companies are thieving, too. ::eek::

Best,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>