Dirt Bike Guide
Reviews
Dealer Guide - our own yellow pages!
Contact GOR Administrators
Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stop motorcycle theft - what can be done starting NOW.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:28 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Some of us have been personally affected by motorcycle theft. We've all seen the desparate ads looking for leads, or the stories of someone going for a test ride and never coming back.

We should exercise more care with who we are selling to, and of course making sure our bikes are locked up tight preferably in a secure area with an alarm system.

But there is one more thing we need to make habit.

When buying any used motorcycle, ask for the VIN up front and do some initial, pre-visit checking with NICB to make sure of no obvious problems: https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Second, let the seller know that you'd like to have the VIN checked by the local PD, for your own records. You will need to download and print this form. I keep a stack on hand: http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/forms/pdf/motor/t-22b.pdf

You can have a T22 filled out on any dirt bike, whether or not it is intended for road use. Do not do the NICB without having a T22 filled out. People can lie about the VIN, but officers will verify what's on the bike - and they have more resources available than the NICB website.

If the seller balks at having the VIN check done by an officer of the law, then you have a possible stolen bike on your hands. Whatever you do, do not buy stolen property.

This one simple step would help eliminate a lot of bike thefts since thieves wouldn't have a market to easily resell their stolen goods.

I have T22's filled out on EVERY bike I buy now, even old junky rollers, but especially on good running bikes.

Post subject: Re: Stop motorcycle theft - what can be done starting NOW.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:43 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Good Information to know. ::applause::

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:58 am 
D - class
D - class

Thanks for this information. I agree on we having to be more careful, to prevent motorcycle theft. This has happened many times before and there are plenty of bad people out there.

http://www.dpfdeletekits.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:34 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I live in Atlanta proper, by that, I live just South of I-20, between Boulevard and Moreland, but North of the federal pen. I saw a person, riding a Yamaha North on Moreland about 2-3 days ago, with no helmet. I am sure that the bike was stolen. It had a number plate on it, with the number 4 on it. I have called 911 on people when I see them riding, hoping that they will be caught, and someone will get their bike back. The police never show up in time to catch them.

Your advice is the best advice that anybody could take. I personally do not put any of my bikes for sale on any sites except for ADVrider, or GOR.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:14 am 
C - class
C - class

While I'm certainly not for more government intrusion, it would be nice to have a sticker system that the riding areas enforced requiring a vin check to get the sticker. Sort of what they do at state run riding areas. I also live in Atlanta and often see locals riding full on numbered motocrossers on the streets with no helmet or gear. Notify the cops and they never show or at minimum 45 minutes later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:28 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Here is a updated link to the T22 form.

https://dor.georgia.gov/documents/t-22b-certification-inspection

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --