Contact GOR Administrators
Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:29 am 
GOR Assisted Living

Won't we end up like Cali and have red stickers and all that other BS.

I'm tired of giving up my birthday money on cars!

Post subject: Check out the Florida OHV law
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:03 am 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

New OHV Florida Registration Decal
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHS&MV) began issuing non-renewable decals with the OHV titles. It is a permanent decal (does not have to be renewed every year) and is good for the machine as long as you own it. It looks similar to the decal you get when you renew your car tags. It is much more convenient than carrying a copy of your title or your title application form with you when you ride. Anyone who got a title prior to the implementation of the decal can obtain a decal for their previously-issued title by contacting the DHS&MV or local tag office.

For more information go to the DHS&MV Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) website.

There you will find an Off-Highway Vehicles link that will take you to a page with specific information about OHV title requirements. It also has an OHV Guide link that recaps rules and shows where to place the decals on an OHV.

http://www.floridatrailriders.org/articles/20060116.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:25 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

They are have been fighting off-road registration in Nevada for about 4 years now. Guess who started that? The Dealers! They were tired of loosing out on sales to dealers in California because people drive across the state line to buy bikes so they don't have to pay sales tax.
So they were asking for a small registration fee every 2 years. And the money generated would go back into off-road resources like trail maintance. Problem is, once the state saw how much money it was going to make them, they decided they could up the fee even more and use that money for all sorts of things, besides off-road stuff.
So now the legislation has turned into a big ugly money battle and has nothing to do with protecting the dealers or motorcycles...
Don't start something like this in Georgia unless you want it to spin out of control like California where they tell you when you are allowed to ride your bike.

HD V-Rod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:07 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

I can't support any more goverenment intrusion/regulation of my life. I'll take responsibility to prevent my stuff from being stolen.

It's not clear to me how titleing/registering my dirt bikes would make it easier to recover them in the event of theft. I can prove to the cops and anybody else that I own my equipment with OEM-issued MSO's and notorized sales documents, and this documentation would be the minimum necessary for the state to provide me with a "title" anyway. In other words, I see the state charging me a fee to provide me with something I already have. The only benefit I could see is that it would create an easily accessible data base where the cops could enter the VIN of a recovered bike and then find the last registered owner. "Easily accessible" being the key, because cops are not in much hurry to return or find the rightful owner of a dirtbike. Ask me how I know. By the way, if you ever find yourself in this situation, the argument that "Maybe you can't find the most recent owner, but the OEM can tell you the ORIGINAL owner if you bother to ask. Maybe you could try a little detective work from there...." will be of no consequence.

I also have a hard time believing that the funds raised would be used for trail maintenance and other off-road uses. The HOPE scholarship program shows that. The state/federal goverenment is already supposed to be using the "unused" road tax money generated by putting taxed gasoline into an "off-road" vehicle to maintain our riding areas. That's not happening, at least on a dollar for dollar basis.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:32 pm 
C - class
C - class

At the risk of offending anyone, I have to agree with Duke. I do not need the gov't any more involved in my personal life than present. Regarding the ability to recover any faster....in theory yes, but in reality not a chance. Ask anyone who has ever had a street bike liberated and they'll tell you the chance of recovery in the same or even useful condition....slim and none and slim just left town. In the end, this would with out a doubt end up another revenue stream for the gov't and John "Q" Citizen would be left with nothing more than another receipt.

We are all adults that have the opportunity to manage our own risk tolerance and should we feel the juice is worth the squeeze have the right to purchase theft insurance. Again, back to the street bike issue, ask anyone who has every had a bike stolen and they'll tell you in the end insurance makes them whole, not the fact they registered the bike. In the end the gov't is not unlike anyone else, meaning the typically person/entity doesn't do something unless they derive benefit. Thus we are back to the fact the gov't would gain an additional source of revenue and I for one do not think I would receive near enough (except legal compliance) for my inconvenience and outlay of cash.

Just my .025 cents worth

Turner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:46 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Duke wrote:
I can't support any more goverenment intrusion/regulation of my life. . . . . The state/federal goverenment is already supposed to be using the "unused" road tax money generated by putting taxed gasoline into an "off-road" vehicle to maintain our riding areas. That's not happening, at least on a dollar for dollar basis.

Actually, the off-road gas tax money is being used! The only problem is that the people who sit on the board come from all walks of outdoor recreation, not just motorized recreation. We get like 1 vote for ATVs, motorcycles and trucks (combined) while the equestrians get a vote (go figure that one), bicycles (another mystery) and several green supported groups. We are outnumbered greatly when it comes to awarding contract money.

The only place our portion of money (a possible 33% of the whole pot) can be used is on public off-road riding areas. The only areas that fit that description are USFS ORVs, and you know how difficult they are to work with. Fortunately GARTRA has a very good relationship with the USFS, but if you want to use a chain saw or pilot an ATV you have to endure a day long training class. That limits who can help.

If that isn't one sided enough, the grant money can only be matched. In other words, if we have $10k to use we have to come up with our own $10k in matching funds. Fortunately we can use labor hours like money. This is one reason to join GARTRA and show up for a work day. Unfortunately much of the money is lost because the volunteer hours aren't there to match it.

Any portion of funds we don't use the other groups have the right to come in and take for their use. The hiking groups, which GA DNR heavily favors, are pretty good at taking our leftovers.

So, yes we are being screwed but no, the money is not going unused but yes, for the most part we aren't using it.

Don't like those potatoes? Then either join GARTRA and get involved, join Blue Ribbon Coalition and get involved, start writing a few letters a week to various DNR beauracrats and legislators and get involved or just get involved. Hey, you can even form your own pro-rights club (I might even join) and really get involved. But ranting on a forum will get nothing changed. I guarantee it.

The only way I would favor a state registration program is if it came with state provided riding areas. Then it would be a bargain. I would love to live in Michigan!!! Well, at least 6 months out of the year . . . .

Respectfully,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:51 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

does anyone know if you can put lojack on a dirtbike?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:52 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Sure, with at least a motorcycle battery, but I have not seen or heard of it being done (yet).

Why? You going fishin with a bike?

- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:53 am 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Perhaps, I have a KTM exc in the decatur area. I hear that the fish have been biting lately.
[/quote]

Post subject: IDEAS TO CRACK DOWN ON THEFT OF BIKES
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:22 am 
D - class
D - class

Theft is a major problem, and as the enconomy gets worse theft will get worse. I honestly believe that if the major ridding places and parks such as durhamtown, monroe, etc. started a program that before you can ride
at these parks your vin numbers on your bikes have to placed into a data base. And vin numbers ran at that point theft would go down. Buyers would be real sure to run a vin number with the local police before they baught there bikes.
It makes me sick that people work really hard for there things, and then they are stolen. In most cases the people caught stealing get off the hook with very little fines, or time in jail. I know for a fact the police really want to help, and its not there fault. Judges are just to dam easy
on these people and until America speaks up it will stay this way. America may as well face it, criminals have more rights than the people who follow the law. Dope houses where people go to use drugs are all over the place and the police know where they are. But Judges will not let them bust these people because the judges make it way to hard for the police to do there job. I would say over 70 percent of The people that use the drugs are the people out stealing your stuff so they can support there
habbit. America needs to speak up like the texas man did, this is just not right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:42 am 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

We had our house broken into and my Wifes Mint XR100 was stolen ..........and that was about it thankfully.

We called the police, and they came out and I filled out a police report, and wanted fingerprints taken. The officer triaed a little to talk me out of it but I persisted.

A crime scene investigator showed up...........let me tell you what a piece of work she was. She was iritable, snyde, rude, and uncomfortable to be around .................This was a Sunday, and she did not like the idea of having to come out and take a statement and look for fingerprints, and basically do her job.

I had a much better and polite conversation with the neighborhood thieves that sold me my bike back for $75.00 3 months later still in nearly mint condition. I figured if the cops didn't come up with the bike in that time forget it. I certainly did not want to see the Crime Investigator again.

At any rate I called the Sherrif who talked a pretty big game about getting the $$ back and arresting these guys, but I never saw him or the $75.00 after he came by the house and I pointed out the guy's houses that brought the bike back.

At any rate read the story as you like one for the win ..........or loss, or middle of the road story. I sold the bike a week later for $ 1400.00 so a good move on my part I figured, as I was sure it was a total loss for a while.

1996 KX500 (Resurrection Project starts 10.1.15)
1971 TS250 Vintage Dual sport
1971 T500 Vintage street bike