Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best bike size?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:59 am 
D - class
D - class

Hey ladies! Trying to upsize to a bigger bike and looking for advice...

I've been riding a kx80 two-stroke, and more recently a crf150rb. I love the feel of the 4 stroke, but like the 85 it still feels too short for me. I rode a 250 2-stroke on my last trip out to HP and it was way too tall and powerful for me. (I'm 5'6" and 125lbs, and prefer to ride on the track)

I'm debating between a yz125 2-stroke or a crf250r. I haven't gotten a chance to ride either, but judging from the specs these two look like they might be the best fit.

I'm leaning toward the crf250r because I liked the feel of a 4 stroke and it's a little taller than the 150 but still shorter than a yz250. Any advice from the other ladies out there? What do y'all like to ride? Anybody ride one of these?

Any advice would be much appreciated! ::cat::

Post subject: Re: Best bike size?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:37 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I am no girl...but I do ride like one and with two.

I am a 6' tall guy who rides a yz125...it is the tallest bike Yamaha makes. I love the YZinger more than any bike I have ever ridden. I owned a 2006 CRF250R on my way to the YZ. Also had a couple of KTM 300's even a nice yz250!

You have to ride the YZinger like you stole it.

My daughter is 5'-7" and rides a ktm 300 with a tall seat. My 5'-3" wife rides a lowered Yamaha WR250f.

There is no magic answer to your question...try every bike you can before pulling the trigger. Most bikes can be lowered. Different methods for different bikes. My wife had a lowered KDX using lowering links, inexpensive way to drop the seat, you have to slide the forks up in the clamps. The geometry will not be exact. The WR is lowered using a kit Race Tech makes. We really prefer this method. Either way, you lose ground clearance.

Just try some bikes...most folks will let you sit on theirs. You can try mine if you actually find me on it sometime.

2009 KTM 300XC Morgan's

2005 Yamaha WR 250F #122

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:21 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

I am still very much a novice rider and I catch on to things pretty quickly but here's my experience.

I am 5'7 and an athletic 145, so a little bigger than you. I first got on a bike 2 years ago when my boyfriend brought me home a suzuki drz125L (so it had slightly larger tires and I think a slightly different suspension than the regular 125). I just wanted something I could touch the ground on to learn, and it's nearly impossible to hurt yourself with the little bit of power that little 4 stroke makes.

Within like 10 rides (or a year later because I run too much instead of riding), I was ready for something bigger. I rode DJ's daughter's yz125 one afternoon and was convinced I wanted one or something like it.

I was able to find a yz125 a couple of months later and I am obsessed with it. At first I had to adjust to being on a bike so much taller, but now I don't even notice that. I can still lift it up in the woods, and I don't have any issues keeping it from stalling when I'm in the tight sections at DJ's. The hardest adjustment was the handle bar width - I suddenly started hitting trees there that I never came close to before! I love the 2 stroke. I ride Karl's 250 4 stroke every once in a while and it's comfortable, but just different and feels heavy.

I highly recommend the yz! Everyone who jumps on mine loves it ::up:: you should see DJ rip it around on the track. ::rofl::

Steph

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:35 am 
KTM GURU

I have watched a good number of girls begin riding and go through the learning process and bike buying process as they get better and better at riding a bike. It has been my experience that once most women have a year or more of seat time, and it's time to get off the "learner" bike, they have a better riding experience on a lightweight non top heavy 2-stroke, 125cc - 200cc, rather than a heavier and more top heavy 4-stroke in the 250 size range.

I realize this is a generalization, but for most women that are somewhere near average proportions, light makes right. Fighting a big top heavy bike makes for a less enjoyable riding experience for most women. Since you are relatively tall, I think you will be fine without lowering a bike. If you feel whatever bike you buy is too tall, you might try a lower seat before pulling the trigger on lowering the bike.

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

If you find yourself going through He11, keep going!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:07 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Mr. Wright is wise. We did shave the seat on my wife's KDX as well as lowering links.

My daughter LOVED her KTM 200. She could rip that thing through the woods. At one point, she was just about to be faster than me...that is where the crashing began, but that is another story.

Light is Right! So is Paul.

My wife rides a WR, but once she picks it up 3 times, she is done for the day. I try to do the lifting every chance I get for her so we can ride longer. The button is a big plus on her bike, the button on my daughter's 300 never works. Waste of poundage on that bike.

Anyway...I still say test ride or sit any bike you can. Don't rush into a decision.

2009 KTM 300XC Morgan's

2005 Yamaha WR 250F #122

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:15 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

The 200XC was a perfect "next step" for me. LOVED that bike. Of course being as squatty as I am, we lowered it as much as we could (and it was still too tall, but the feel of a bigger bike is totally worth not being able to get your foot down sometimes). Now, mind you, I'm not quite 5'3", so I am at a serious disadvantage with regards to reaching the ground...but no way no how would I give up the ride of a bigger bike. I will just take my "tips" when I have to.

Now I have the 250XC (very similar - but I like this one even better for some reason...the E start is a big part of it - wasn't available on the 200 when I wanted it, and they also stopped the XC which I like better than the XCW for whatever reason). My 250 is a touch heavier, but also a little more "solid" feeling. We just get along quite well! If I'm on a trail and can't quite reach things, it's lovely to be able to reach up and push a button.

Come to Spa Day (05/09) and you can try some of the different bikes if you want to. We do the "swap out" quite often.

'12 KTM 250 XC+ #114
'08 Beta Rev3 125

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:15 am 
D - class
D - class

Thanks so much for the suggestions!!

For my birthday the boyfriend surprised me with a 2001 cr125r!
The Honda is a little shorter stock than other 125's and I think once I get used to being on a tall bike it's going to be a pretty good fit - I can touch the ground with my toes and kick start it pretty comfortably. And it's pretty light. Rode it around the block a few times but haven't been out to the track yet. Planning a riding day on the 20th if the weather stays nice! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:23 pm 
C - class
C - class

I know this is an older post, but I like the CRF230L it's a good height for me. I'm 5'3" if that helps. But I have a feeling you've already found a bike.