Dirt Bike Guide
Reviews
Dealer Guide - our own yellow pages!
Contact GOR Administrators
Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What Does One Take To Riding Places? Do I wear make-up?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:29 pm 
C - class
C - class

What Does One Take To Riding Places(HP, Duram.., etc)? Do I wear make-up? Take a sun umbrella? Bandaids? Bug spray? Etc...
Actually, I rarely wear make-up so that's not really an issue, but what things like that may i need to know? Unless someone tells me specifically what else to bring, then I am the kinds who brings every big & little thing that anyone may ever possibly ever need out there. I tend to not travel light, & since i'm catching rides, that may not be a good thing.
Suggestions?
Thanks!
Karen

Post subject: Re: What Does One Take To Riding Places? Do I wear make-up?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:51 am 
KTM GURU

kareni2 wrote:
What Does One Take To Riding Places(HP, Duram.., etc)? Do I wear make-up? Yes, and do your hair too. Ask Jackie for tips in this area...Take a sun umbrella? Bandaids? Bug spray? Etc... If you are going to lay out in the sun after riding you might want the sunbrella for a little shade, or just wear your KTM bikini and some sunblock rather than bug spray
Actually, I rarely wear make-up so that's not really an issue, Oh... now it is! but what things like that may i need to know? Unless someone tells me specifically what else to bring, Margaritas! then I am the kinds who brings every big & little thing that anyone may ever possibly ever need out there. You will not be alone in that packing trait, I promise. I tend to not travel light, & since i'm catching rides, that may not be a good thing.
Suggestions? Bring extra make up and a hair brush for when the group stops riding for a little rest on the side of the trail. Be sure your compact mirror is unbreakable. Nothing worse than trying to get just the right look trailside with half a mirror.
Thanks!
Karen

Bring your bike and your riding gear.... everything else you can bum off all the great people you will meet that will be more than willing to lend a hand... You will meet a great group of people. Water drinks, food - you can bring or bum or buy on site. Take my word for it, you can get away with a lot as a Newbie. All the fine folks around you will offer to help. Later once you figure it all out, some newbie will be bumming stuff and advice from you! :)

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

If you find yourself going through He11, keep going!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:24 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

LOL - sounds like we've got a good plan going!

Like PW said - bring yourself, your bike and your gear...and some clothes to change into after the ride. We are at Highland Park most weekends (typically Saturday, but you never can tell!). We will all be glad to share anything else we have. It really is a great group of people who ride there. We take care of each other and love welcoming new folks.

A few other suggestions...

If you're camping at HP in the summertime, bring your robe. It's so nice to get out of the shower and slip into a robe then go back to the A/C in the cabin to get dressed. (Thank you Jenn for that suggestion...divine!). Also bring a flashlight if you're camping to find your way to the bathhouse at night.

Bug spray is your friend. So are comfy shoes with a tough sole.

I enjoy an "after-ride" beverage, so we typically have a cooler with us along with some snacks. Hanging out after the ride is one of the best parts of going to HP.

We are usually parked in the grassy area beside the cabins and fence (unless we're staying in a cabin). We drive a black Explorer and both bikes are numbered 114. My husband's name is Ken and I'm Dixie. Stop by if you see us. Ken is a good rider...I ride like a goon, but we both have a blast! I love that you don't have to be good at riding dirt bikes to enjoy it.

See you soon I hope!

Oh - and Spa Day is August 5th! Come play!!!

'12 KTM 250 XC+ #114
'08 Beta Rev3 125

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:28 am 
GOR Assisted Living

I bring a cargo trailer. It's pre-loaded with lots of stuff I never use. ::duh::

Start with a good high protein breakfast. ::up:: I used to eat an Egg McMuffin and a banana, but now I just do a Balance protein bar with coffee and the banana ~ 30 minutes before arrival. There's a reason for that.

I found these Gatorade Prime01 Pre-Game Fuel drinks on sale in Kroger for a buck each. Sometimes they are a buck fifty now that they've discovered I'm hooked. They're loaded with B vitamins and a bunch of stuff I can't pronounce. It comes in a pouch or these Starburst chew things, but I like the pouch as you get a little liquid with your "shot". I consume it at the first break back at the truck. Really helps post ride recovery.

I always bring a cooler with some sports drinks, caffeinated sodas to stay awake on the way home. Plan to enjoy a high protein something after the ride for muscle rehab. I go for a HP $2 hamburger (much better than Micky D's). If they run out I've got a Balance protein bar or the makings for a PB&J sammich.

Some sort of waist mounted canteen or camel back. Go to Wal-Mart. Remember that a camel back will trap heat on your back so I use a waist canteen for the summer. If there's a small pouch for a snack, protein bar or makeup kit that's a bonus . . . . . :D

You could bring some tools in a fanny pack. If you ever have to do something you've got some basic hardware. If you never need them you'll develop great leg muscles.

The best thing to bring is a smile and a positive attitude. Stuff happens. Those girls will roost dust in your face and totally ruin your Friday night $100 makeover. Just enjoy it and turn it into a positive experience, like payback! :D

And I never knew Paul to be drinking at 6:51am, but I guess a first for everything. Funny guy.

Best,
- c bobbette

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:55 am 
KTM GURU

cbob wrote:
And I never knew Paul to be drinking at 6:51am, but I guess a first for everything. Funny guy.

cbob, I just feel GOOD today! Got sick sick sick on Monday, like food poisoning sick, could not eat anything for 3+ days, lost 14 pounds before winding up in the ER dehydrated and weak as a little kitten. Yes I was forcing fluids down, but it just ran out of me as fast as I was putting it in me. ::eek::

But today I am feeling MUCH better thank you!! ::up:: ::up:: ::up::

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

If you find yourself going through He11, keep going!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:12 am 
GOR Assisted Living

You're the only guy in the hospital with a saline filled camel back. Maybe Barry needs to make a direct IV camel back for when you stray away from the store.

Glad you are feeling better. It is a GOOD day!

Mexican tonight?

Best,
- c bobbette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:26 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

::rotf:: Yes!! Makeup and Hair are a MUST!!!! Of course, that's all gone and/or covered with HP dust within the first 30 minutes and it goes downhill from there... But you must show up looking MARVELOUS!!! ::smirk:: And no dirty dirt bikes either!!

You've received a lot of good info here - so just to reiterate: a camel-back for water, a few sodas, snacks, etc. HP sells hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, ice cream, etc during lunch on weekends. I also like to bring a couple of cold beers for the picnic table discussion group that takes place at the end of every ride ::up:: I usually bring a duffle bag with something to change into for the ride home - mainly becuase if there's a mud puddle anywhere on HP grounds I always manage to find it and fall into it! Sometimes a group of us will stop on the way home to eat, so it's nice to have a change of clothes for that. There's also a bathhouse with showers, if you're at the point you can't stand the smell of yourself at the end of the day (or others can't stand it).

:D I'm sure there's lot more to think of, but i can't think of it right now. Looking forward to riding with you!! PM me your phone number, and if it looks like I'll be heading out to HP this Sunday, I will give you a heads up ::up::

2009 KTM 200 XCW ~ SONNY <3

I do not regret the things I've done... I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:47 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

rnr_ragamuffin wrote:
There's also a bathhouse with showers, if you're at the point you can't stand the smell of yourself at the end of the day (or others can't stand it).
Now you've done it, Jackie! Here comes the blow dryer, the styling wand and / or curling iron, rollers, hair bows, hair spray, razor, a FULL makeup kit, after shower oil, pre shower oil, during shower oil, nail polish, powders, perfumes . . . . it's a whole new game now!

Remember when a squirt with the hose was considered "cleaning up"?

Just ride! ::up::

LOL,
- c bobbette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:42 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

cbob wrote:
Now you've done it, Jackie! Here comes the blow dryer, the styling wand and / or curling iron, rollers, hair bows, hair spray, razor, a FULL makeup kit, after shower oil, pre shower oil, during shower oil, nail polish, powders, perfumes . . . . it's a whole new game now!

Or Paul could just build a little salon next to the cabins and hire a guy with a neatly trimmed goatee and with a fancy european name like Maurice that wears a tight black tee-shirt and pointy elf shoes to do post ride hairstyling for the ladies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:08 pm 
Bling King

rnr_ragamuffin wrote:
And no dirty dirt bikes either!!

Now that is funny ::rofl::

2017 KTM 250XC
2006 GAS GAS 280 PRO
a.k.a the "Bling King"

You don't stop riding because you get old - you get old because you stop riding!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:54 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Yall ever tried to shave your legs in a HP shower after camping there a week????? Seriously???? How do you think I broke my GLASSES! ::rotf::

You will enjoy Spa Day. Great girls, Great instruction, Lots of giggles. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:28 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Dixie Darlin' wrote:
A few other suggestions...

If you're camping at HP in the summertime, bring your robe. It's so nice to get out of the shower and slip into a robe then go back to the A/C in the cabin to get dressed. (Thank you Jenn for that suggestion...divine!).

Good idea but a word of caution though..... Paul has a habit of hiding behind the bathhouse with his backpack blower.

Nuff said!

'99 CR250R
'00 Warrior 350
'90 220 Bayou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:41 pm 
Team GOR
Team GOR

dizastro wrote:
Or Paul could just build a little salon next to the cabins and hire a guy with a neatly trimmed goatee and with a fancy european name like Maurice that wears a tight black tee-shirt and pointy elf shoes to do post ride hairstyling for the ladies.

But... he could do guys too, right?

mxtuner@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:46 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

MX Tuner wrote:
dizastro wrote:

But... he could do guys too, right?

::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: Mark you're funny!! C bobbette, Dirtbikedad and Dizastro ~ you guys are too!!! But you guys know you enjoy having us girlz around :D

2009 KTM 200 XCW ~ SONNY <3

I do not regret the things I've done... I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance!!

Last edited by Ragamuffin on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:52 pm 
C - class
C - class

::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::
Yall are too funny!

Last edited by kareni2 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.