Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weekdays, Riding Buddies, Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:16 pm 
C - class
C - class

Dirt Newbie looking for bike buddies who can meet on weekdays at HP or other places to ride. I have a lot of street experience, but very little time on the dirt. I am also looking for rides from Marietta to riding places (share gas costs). I plan to take the the basic dirt class in Alpharetta in the next few weeks & then I'll be ready to ride???? Is 50 yo too old to try this? Really I have no idea what i'm doing. I just have a dream, a regular street helment, & boots ::geek:: . What's next? ?

Post subject: Re: Weekdays, Riding Buddies, Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:24 pm 
Social Butterfly

NEVER too old(ask Arod, he lives in Marietta, PM me for his addy :D ::smirk:: ).... a dream is all it takes.........."dream it, do it, live it" I am sure you will find plenty of fun girls on your side of town to help make your dream a reality.

Good luck and enjoy! ::cheer::

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:36 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

What size helmet do you wear? I have an MSR in decent shape you can have. No crashes. Its a medium.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:10 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Hopefully some Ladies who have been sneaky out during weekdays will chime in.....

You should join us on Spa Days.

Never too old to be a Dirt Bike Rider!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:25 am 
Team GOR
Team GOR

You'll be much better off with a dirt helmet. Do you have a bike yet? If you have street experience, the basic control operation transfers over but the technique is way different. If you try riding a dirt bike like a street bike, you'll end up doing a lot of crashing. Take your time, buy the right bike for *your* needs, not just what everyone tells you to buy. Once you get the bike, have it checked out and get the bike in good working condition (good brakes, tires, etc).

Highland Park rents boots (which are a mandatory safety issue along with gloves and goggles and a helmet. Everything else is nice to have but not necessarily mandatory) and bikes to get a feel for what type bike you want. I know way too many *big* guys that get into dirt biking and think they need the equivalent to a big block Chevy, which will do nothing but hurt you and discourage you. That combined with the humility can give you a rough start to a great sport.

mxtuner@comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:21 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Ditto on the dirt helmet, and Scott Greer takes care of his stuff. Probably had it professionally washed, waxed, sanitized and everything.

Be well hydrated for your MSF dirt school. I think they provide pants & jerseys now. If not think light colored long sleeve t-shirt or even buy a summer jersey (perforated) somewhere. Take your own boots (you have them, might as well). Having your own goggles helps . . . . the lenses were always scratched when I was teaching.

HP Spa Days are right up your alley. The "spa girls" support each other while Paul (the gang leader and owner of HP) lead them through basic riding techniques, all free with your ride fee. Good stuff. If not you can always bail and ride the perimeter loop.

And no, 50 isn't too old at all. I'm starting to wonder when "too old" really is. I'll be 60 in another year. Time flies when you're having fun.

Good luck, have fun.

Best
- c bobbette

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:31 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

cbob wrote:

And no, 50 isn't too old at all. I'm I'll be 60 in another year. Time flies when you're having fun.

Good luck, have fun.

Best
- c bobbette

You're kidding!! You don't look day over 58. ::up::

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:40 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

cbob wrote:
Ditto on the dirt helmet, and Scott Greer takes care of his stuff. Probably had it professionally washed, waxed, sanitized and everything.

I wouldnt go that far ::rotf::

I can promise the bigger chunks of mud have been knocked off, the liner is washed, and it hasnt been crashed in. I have worn it 10 times tops. Free to a new rider getting into the sport ::up::

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:04 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

NO 50 IS NOT TOO OLD!! :D I began at 50 and I also started with the dirt bike training in Alpharetta. That is a terrific school, gives you a great feel for what this sport is all about and will let you know if your interested in going forward with it or not. I absolutely fell in love with it and still am ::heart3:: three years and one broken leg later ::smirk::

Then the next step is joining us for Ladies Spa Day at Highland Park. Look back over some of the previous postings in the Ladies Forum and you'll see some ride reports about our Spa Days... we learn so much from Paul and Tony and we love helping each other.

I live in Marietta, but I'm not able to do any riding on weekdays... you lucky girl!

2009 KTM 200 XCW ~ SONNY <3

I do not regret the things I've done... I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:09 pm 
Team GOR
Team GOR

kareni2 wrote:
Is 50 yo too old to try this?

Apparently, you don't realize how many of us are already over 50......

mxtuner@comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:27 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

MX Tuner wrote:
kareni2 wrote:
Is 50 yo too old to try this?

Apparently, you don't realize how many of us are already over 50......

::up::

2009 KTM 200 XCW ~ SONNY <3

I do not regret the things I've done... I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:18 pm 
C - class
C - class

Thanks yall! You sure make a person well welcome :D . And Scott TYVM for helment offer. I'd be honored to wear a possibly washed, waxed, & sanitized helment!- If it would fit - I wear Youth size helments. Adult small might work if anyone else just happens to have one to pass along :) .
If I can get my car to work (hopefully I'll find out this week), I'll be able to use my dual sport (Suz DR200) the first number of times out since i'll just be getting the feel of the dirt and hopefully not crashing into things. My DR has her limits, but is the most reliable transportation I've ever had.
I want to see what all bikes yall ride before i get one. I don't know anything about dirt bikes. I don't even know your language - MX? Supercross? MFS helment? Scrambles - like eggs?
I better not say much more or yall may realize how weird I am. It's best for people to get just little doses of me at a time. Of course, my guess is that many of you are about as crazy ::yippie::

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:52 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

kareni2 wrote:
. . . . Scrambles - like eggs?
Sometimes yes.

And yes, we are all crazy too. I think our mommas dropped us when we were little.

Be sure to talk to April at MSF dirt training center (full time administrator and trainer). She mostly rides MX (motocross) and can give some good tips for your sized frame. Same for Emily (if still teaching).

MX can be intense, especially with the big boys on the track. HP's GP tracks are fairly gentle but you might focus on trail riding starting out. Less intense, lower speeds. Eventually you'll gravitate toward your own personal adrenalin rush.

Set your DVR or TiVo unit for keywords motocross, mx, supercross, sx, motoGP, superbike, gncc, racer tv, enduro, . . . . it's a long list that will get you familiar with all sorts of 2 wheel racing at the top levels. Have to do something when the sun goes down. One of the channels is replaying last season's supercross series . . . .

Best,
- c bobbette

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:02 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Well, piddley-poo...I just passed 2 adult small helmets on to the same person, I would have been more than happy to split up the pair.

Welcome to the sport and GOR, great bunch of folks on here. My wife and daughter both ride, but we live about 5 hours from the ATL.

2009 KTM 300XC Morgan's

2005 Yamaha WR 250F #122