Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Congratulations Jackie!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:52 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I just wanted to say congratulations Lady ::yippie:: ::yippie:: on having the guts to enter your first race!!!! I know that had to be exciting, nerve racking and exhausting all at the same time. ::up::

2012 Honda CRF150R #44
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Post subject: Re: Congratulations Jackie!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:19 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Awwww Thanks Flipper!!!!!! Don't know if you'd call it guts or idiocy! ::shocked::

IT WAS AWESOME!! That's one of the coolest things I've ever done!! I didn't do as well as I had hoped or thought I would, but I hung in there as long as my arms would let me and gave it my best shot. That deep sand picked me up and sat me down on my butt more times than I can count! After the race Tony asked why we were hiding in the woods when he passed - I said I wasn't hiding in the woods, that's just where I ended up somehow :) At least I didn't lose pieces of my bike Tony!!

Lots of fun and laughs from yesterday!!! One of the Rangers even told me at least I was providing good photo ops hahaha!! Everlasting thanks to Surfergirl ::notworthy:: who graciously offered to sweep me and I can't tell y'all how gratefully I accepted her offer!! She gave me great advice, great encouragement and pulled me out of deadly pits of quicksand for what was probably for her an excruciating 3.5 miles :D (yep only 3.5 miles ::duh:: )

It was great being there with Tracee, Tony, Kyle and Brantley!! ::yippie:: I also got lots of encouragement from M1 and DJ! DJ - Tell Rick Racer not to feel bad about running over my back tire - a lot of people probably came really close to doing the same thing ::rotf:: I truly can't wait to give it another shot ;)

2009 KTM 200 XCW ~ SONNY <3

I do not regret the things I've done... I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:16 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Congrats Jackie! we are soooo proud of you! It doesn't matter if you came in first or last or somewhere in between - as long as you had a good time! That's what it's all about!
::up::

'12 KTM 250 XC+ #114
'08 Beta Rev3 125

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:39 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Way to go Jackie! ::applause:: ::cheer:: ::applause::

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 pm 
Social Butterfly

rnr_ragamuffin wrote:
Don't know if you'd call it guts or idiocy! ::shocked::

IT WAS AWESOME!! That's one of the coolest things I've ever done!!

It's all of the above, that's what "makes" the whole experience.... and YOU!! ::up::

And a very big shout out to Tracee(surfergirl) for being Jackie's personal sweep rider. We can read all day long about the Pro riders, fast guys, goons, etc. but to read about a fellow, local, female trying her first race at 50+ years old is just pure awesomeness in my book.(sorry Jackie, didn't mean to bring age in to it since I tend not to act or feel my age either, but I was just gloating on you!)

You are such a "problem child"! That's what I love about you! ::cheer:: ::cheers:: ::applause::

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:27 pm 
Social Butterfly

BTW- in comparison....I rode my very first harescramble at the age of 25 - 1995 Corn Cob HS in Dahlonega, GA on Mike Grizzle's property on a 1990 XR200(Rick Holsemback would be proud!),during that day and age, they had a hotlap/pre-race lap before the actual race. Shoot, I never even finished the hot lap. Had to take the easy out back to the p.lot just to make the actual start on time. I also only got about 2-4 miles in before the AA's riders started lapping me into the race, it was a harsh experience, and I remember telling myself back then after that race, I would never race again...........ha, not! ::cheer:: I have come to the realization, "we"(some of us girlz) are just bred that "way". :D We can't help it! So, you go girl with your bad self! ::up:: ::applause:: ::cheers::

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:38 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Actually Jackie might have gotten more distance in - it was just an estimate but when you see the vids I hope it does justice to the conditions she faced like a champ! ::cheer:: She was smiling the whole time and the best quote of the day was when she went down on a hill that was like being on I-75 with AA racers passing her left and right- and she said something like, wish I could remember her quote exactly- maybe she can help me with it, "This experience is making me more determined to finish! ::smirk:: That's what I'm talking about!!!! ::applause::

Jackie did awesome and she did not allow anything out their to beat her determination down. I was the one that talked Jackie into riding out when we did. I have had a wise rider teach me some lessons in the past few years about not going beyond fatigue, poor judgement and staying healthy for the next round. See, I am a good listener... :D

Well, I got into more trouble out there than Jackie did when I decided to take a lap. ::rofl:: What kinda of sweep gets 3/4 of the way up the sand hill and stops- should have pinned it.... but my glasses made it look abrubt so I thought I was in the right gear.....Wrong! ::loser:: It was my eyesight .... ::paranoia:: really.... ::paranoia:: :D

Then I come into a corner with the deepest rut I think I have ever seen that looked wide and firm enough to let me get through and about a third of the way in... the front tire hits a spot of quicksand and disappears. So here comes this great young man - a sweep to my rescue to get a goon sweeper out of trouble. ::duh:: ::rofl::

I had no clue how to ride deep moist sand. This was my first Sand race. At the end of the lap I learned a few things about riding sand....and a few things about how "not" to ride sand whoops..

It was great to see some familar faces, Tammy, Eddie, Pinball, Smithpa, Dennis, Breanna, M1L, and Jerry Smith.

I have to give a shout out to Jerry Smith- he is a terrific guy and cheerleader when you need one!! He was awesome again yesterday encouraging Jackie every step of the way through her first journey as a RACER!

Hey Girl!
Welcome to the STARTING LINE!!!!

::yippie:: ::cheer:: ::cheer:: ::applause:: ::cheers::

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:57 pm 
RADIO

Nicely done, sorry I didn't meet ya'll

J. East WERA #355
Follow me on Instagram - @SlimJim355

Thanks to my sponsors!
Team Goon Squad™, Proline Motorsports, Amsoil Synthetic Oils, MX4Nam Photography, Team Boom 4 Tripp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:14 am 
KTM GURU

Great job, Jackie! ::up::

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

If you find yourself going through He11, keep going!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:14 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

::yippie:: ::yippie::

you go girl!!! ::applause::

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:14 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

::cheer:: Way to go Jackie!!!!! ::cheer:: So proud of you and in awe of your gumption!! ::eek::

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:45 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

You guys are so terrific with your encouragement – thank you each one so much!!

Tracee and Michele – you don’t know how much your words mean to me!! ::notworthy:: I want to be just like y’all when I grow up!!! Seriously, I have so much respect for both of you – y’all are awesome!!

Hahaha Tracee you have that right – I did say I was even more determined to finish that lap :D after those guys started passing me! I was watching them go by me right and left like they were riding nothing more difficult than the Perimeter at HP and I thought – dag-nabbit! If they can do it - I can do it!!! So I’d take off again, make it about 200 or 300 yards and about the time I was thinking, ok I got it now buddy – that sand would just yank my front wheel totally to the left or right and down I would go again.

I have to admit I've been beating myself up for not finishing one lap… but I realized my arms had completely gone away by the time I threw in the towel... It was great advice for me to ride out when I did Tracee!! DJ made me feel a little better when he pointed out how much smaller my bike’s wheels are than most of the other riders.

What a blast that was though! I definitely want to try again and looks like my next opportunity will be Holland, Georgia on March 6th. I’M IN!! Who else is in??!!! Is that a place that’s open to the public to ride? I’d love to go out and ride one day – just to make sure it’s NOT another sandbox!

2009 KTM 200 XCW ~ SONNY <3

I do not regret the things I've done... I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:14 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Great job Jackie. You picked a tough one to start racing but I love your determination. ::up:: ::up::

2005 KTM 450EXC #665
2003 Sherco 2.9
1979 Yamaha IT400
2001 Kawasaki KX500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:34 pm 
Social Butterfly

rnr_ragamuffin wrote:
What a blast that was though! I definitely want to try again and looks like my next opportunity will be Holland, Georgia on March 6th. I’M IN!! Who else is in??!!! Is that a place that’s open to the public to ride? I’d love to go out and ride one day – just to make sure it’s NOT another sandbox!

Holland will not be open to the public to pre-ride, but it is only about an hour north of HP, the terrain will be very similiar to HP, lots of elevation changes, hard pack, rocks, roots, etc. No sand though! ::applause:: I did not go last year, but read about it being a mid-summer dust bowl race. Obviously, I would guess it will not be as dusty beings it's a March race this year, but you would also want to hope it's not too wet! From the vid I have seen from the last race, it had a few little creek crossings, and that was the dry summer months.