It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Elena Myers wins AMA Pro Road Race 1 at Infineon
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:33 am 
KTM GURU

From the press release -

AMA Pro Racing SuperSport Race One Report from Infineon Raceway, CA
Elena Myers takes historic first win in AMA Pro Road Racing

SONOMA, CA (May 15, 2010) - With a motorcycle racing history going back to 1934 and the formation of the AMA racing category called Class C, May 15, 2010 is the day that 16 year old Elena Myers put her name permanently in the history books with the very first AMA Pro Road Racing victory for a female rider. Myers, from nearby Discovery Bay, California, took an exciting and popular victory at Infineon Raceway during the West Coast Moto Jam AMA Pro Racing SuperSport event.

Myers has been competitive from the very first race this year at Daytona International Speedway, taking a pair of seventh place finishes aboard her Lucas Oil/RoadRacingWorld.com/RMR Suzuki. She showed further improvement at the next round at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California with a stirring fourth place finish in the second of two races, after suffering an accident moments after the start of race one.

Myers showed her mettle at the next race at Road Atlanta, when she again had the misfortune of getting caught up in someone else's problem on the race warm-up lap, which again prevented her from starting, but she came back to finish fifth in the second race.

Today, she again showed her ability by racing hard when it counted and took a well deserved win after battling with a number of her competitors during today's action packed AMA Pro Racing SuperSport race at 2.32-mile, 11-turn Infineon Raceway. Myers qualified on the outside of the second row in eighth place. She jumped up to fifth place at the start and began her day mixing it up once again with the excellent field in this year's production-based SuperSport class.

The race was red flagged on lap 10, with Myers in second place leading Beaubier. By virtue of the rules, the running order reverts back to lap 9, the halfway point and the last completed green flag lap, which showed Pascarella leading. However, Pascarella was the cause of the red flag, and by the rules, this puts him to the back of the running order, and that put Myers in first place.

An emotional and overwhelmed Myers, the first female winner in the history of AMA Pro Road Racing, celebrated with the many happy fans and industry personnel present for this historic achievement. Myers commented, "When they told me the race was called, they said, 'You got second, but wait, Joey Pascarella crashed and you got first,' and I looked at my Dad and he was crying."

Later on, she talked about her race, "I got a great start off the front row, which worked out really well for me. I was in second and Tyler was in first and I passed Tyler and Joey was still ahead of me...Sorry, I'm just on another planet right now." She continued, "The race went really good for me, and some people made mistakes and I took advantage of it. I don't think it's quite sunk in yet. It's crazy."

Both Beaubier and O'Hara congratulated Myers on her win. O'Hara commented, "I think it's huge for the sport. Elena just broke the barrier as far as women on a motorcycle at the top level. I'm proud of her and happy and I like racing with her."

Race two of the doubleheader Infineon Raceway AMA Pro Racing weekend will be tomorrowtoday (Sunday) at 1:30 p.m. local time, and all eyes will be on this exciting AMA Pro SuperSport class, but it will be hard to top the historic events that saw Elena Myers put herself firmly into the record books in AMA Pro Motorcycle racing.

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

If you find yourself going through He11, keep going!

Post subject: Re: Elena Myers wins AMA Pro Road Race 1 at Infineon
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:44 am 
GOR Assisted Living

I saw her at Road Atlanta this year. Very cool kid. And she really goes for it. This is great news. ::up::

2005 KTM 450EXC #665
2003 Sherco 2.9
1979 Yamaha IT400
2001 Kawasaki KX500

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:27 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

How cool is this??!! Thanks for sharing Paul!!

2009 KTM 200 XCW ~ SONNY <3

I do not regret the things I've done... I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance!!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:27 am 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Simply awesome! You go girl!! ::cheer::