Dirt Bike Guide
Reviews
Dealer Guide - our own yellow pages!
Contact GOR Administrators
Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ladies!! KTM 200 XC or XCW?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:24 am 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

I'm pretty sure I saw a few women at the Spa day on 200 XC's. What made you decide on the XC over the XCW? Feel free to be verbose. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Ladies!! KTM 200 XC or XCW?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:05 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

I could have that backwards, if so, why an XC-W?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:16 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Weeellll.....I got the 200 XC-W (Wide Ratio) because Paul told me it would better suite my riding needs. I said...okay ::rollieyes::

I am in love with the bike ::heart:: Have no regrets....have never riden a 200 XC.

Most important part for me is that the suspension has been lowered and I can get my feet on the ground.

Gee....that's not much help! ::rofl::

Paul.....what say you?

LARider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:48 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

I have a discussion going with Paul about it, was looking for some input from riders that have them. (We rode with you one day, you offered to let her ride your bike - thanks) She's since rented the XCW & seems to like it. I think 1st gear is just too low on the XCW, wonder how the XC compares. Just trying to generate a discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:20 pm 
Team GOR
Team GOR

I have an 07 XCW. I started out on an 85 XR200 4-stroke and went right to this bike. Hugh leap and so worth it. I chose it because I was told it was the best bike for what I like to ride. Mostly trails but some track. I had a wheel weight put on it and it hardly ever stalls. (rider error not the bike). I am 5'5 and still need to have it lowered a tad but other than that. I absolutely love my bike. Just my 2 cents.

Life's too short...Just do it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:36 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I have an 07 XC. I have never riden a 200XCW, but I can honestly tell you, I LOVE my XC.

I can not tell you how the gearing compares. I have never felt that 1st gear is "too low". If you go to HP a good bit she is welcome to ride mine. I will miss the Spa Day in Feb. because I coach girls basketball and we have a game that Saturday.
What does she ride now? How soon are you looking to buy?

As to why I went with the XC instead of the XCW. The XC was available at the right price.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:11 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

She has been renting a 200XCW @ HP and has adapted pretty well to it. Major issue is just falling over because she cannot flat foot the bike. Before that a Yamaha TTR230 which was just too heavy. We have a line on a 200XC which was set up for a rider who weighed less and has a low seat. Might be just the ticket, but will she like the gearing?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:27 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

sworxx wrote:
She has been renting a 200XCW @ HP and has adapted pretty well to it. Major issue is just falling over because she cannot flat foot the bike. Before that a Yamaha TTR230 which was just too heavy. We have a line on a 200XC which was set up for a rider who weighed less and has a low seat. Might be just the ticket, but will she like the gearing?

At a place like HP where you'll never get it opened up enough to need higher gears, I actually think the closer ratio XC gearbox might be more user friendly? The way I take that is that its not such a big change between each gear change so basically riding between 2nd or 3rd gear on a certain section isn't that big of a deal. I'm not familiar with them enough to know exactly what differences are in the gears, but is the space wider between all gears or just maybe the last few gears?

The only advantage I see to an XC-W gearbox is for like a Dual Sport where you want the low 1-3 gears for technical stuff, but still have a higher 5th-6th gear for cruising between the trails on the open road. The other possibility would be in wide open terrain like the desert where you might actually get into 5th & 6th gears. Around here for technical trail riding, I don't think the XC-W offers any advantage and may actually be a disadvantage depending on your riding style?

On either bike, you can always change final gearing too to put you more where you want it too.

The other differences I've read between them is the XC-W gets a bit more plush suspension vs the stiffer XC suspension although it has more adjustments. There may be differences in power delivery also. Overall though, you can pretty much though set up any 2T that suits your needs. Between a FWW, getting the suspension setup and getting the final gearing right, you can make either 200 fit her needs.

Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R, 98 DR650, 01 FZ1
Hers: 13 CRF250L, 12 Duc 696, 06 F650GS, 06 XT225

My Pictures - http://www.bluelghtning.smugmug.com
$5 coupon off SmugMug (Y2l43o9LVBERU)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:47 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I like the XC. It is geared well and I went from a 48 rear sprocket to a 47 and might go to 46 eventually which will make first even taller. I am usually in 2nd or 3rd on most hill climbs at hp unless they are real technical and I might go with first. first pulls well but isn't bad about lifting the front with my setup. I love to use my clutch though.

I am at hp prety often and she is more than welcome to try my XC out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:33 am 
GOR Assisted Living

Speck and I have found the XC to be geared really well for the woods. I am pretty sure 1st gear is the same in both bikes, and then in 2nd and up the gears get taller. I have ridden both an XC and XCW pretty extensively, and for me the XC just seems to be in the right gear most of the time.

And a lot depends on what you want to ride. I think of W for Western. The taller gears are more suitable for wide-open spaces like the desert and tracks where you need a little more overall speed.

On the flip side the stock XC suspension is a little more aggressive (for racing set-ups, etc.) but that can be adjusted with clicker adjustments. Of course the best thing for suspension is to have it done for your riding style by the Professor at KTMWorld. ::up::

Keep in mind you can do some sprocket changing on the XC or the W to get it where you want it. You can't exactly make an XC a W, or a W an XC, but you can get either rideable for different conditions.

www.fmfracing.com
www.mooseracing.com
Action Trailer Leasing
www.highlandparkresort.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:13 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

She ended up getting a used XC from KTM World. Now she gets to clean her bike, no more rentals.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:54 pm 
Social Butterfly

sworxx wrote:
She ended up getting a used XC from KTM World. Now she gets to clean her bike, no more rentals.

Congrats to her! Will she get her own username and post on GOR? ::cheer::

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:23 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

she is me, so yes. my husband is just more social than i

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:25 pm 
Social Butterfly

KonaKu wrote:
she is me, so yes. my husband is just more social than i

::smirk:: Cool Melinda! I did not know that! Awesome! Congrats again! ::cheer::

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:39 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Great choice! but I am a little biasis. Congrats! I got mine there too!