Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rekluse recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:08 pm 
B - class
B - class

Well, after struggling at yesterday's SORC race in Cleveland, I've come to the realization that I need to work on riding the bike more than trying to keep it from bogging or stalling. I always looked at a Rekluse as kind of cheating, but I'd much rather concentrate on proper lines, steering and throttle control.

I've got an 08 KTM 250XC. Is there any real reason I should consider anything other than the basic EXP 3.0? Keep in mind, I broke the piston on the wife's YZ yesterday, so going out and spending a bunch of $$ on a new clutch for MY bike is not going to go over well. I'm middle-aged, and finding that my street bike and MTB skills haven't transferred as well to the dirt.

Thanks,
James

Post subject: Re: Rekluse recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:52 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I've had the EXP and the pro. Stay with the EXP 3.0. It gives you stock feel with the clutch but prevents stalling. Helps with hill climbing a lot. Never had any problems with the EXP either. Best option in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:13 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

If basic clutching and braking is taking away from your ability to hit lines or control the throttle I'd strongly suggest working on that first. That's the bare basics of riding, I'd rather have a good platform there before finding band aids for the real issue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:23 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

I agree with Scott. I've got pretty much the same bike as you( mine's '09) and don't have a problem with that. I'm no expert or fast by any means, if I race I run c class and don't win. Only stating this to show it's not like Shane Watts telling you blank is easy, just do it. Maybe something small could help with your bike setup. Such as... what gearing are you running, is the idle set too low, clutch operating and adjusted correctly, brake pedal set too high, just riding in too high of a gear?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:12 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Agitator wrote:
….. but I'd much rather concentrate on proper lines, steering and throttle control.

If your goal is to improve your riding skills and go faster, I'd suggest you invest in lessons rather than an auto clutch.
Lessons will be a much better investment and will make riding a lot more fun. Will bolting on an auto clutch make you faster? Maybe but there is a ceiling to how much faster it will make you. At the end of a single lesson you will be faster, then each week that you practice those skills you will continue to get faster and faster.

HIGHLAND PARK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:45 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

All good points but IF you are committed to buying a rekluse, the EXP 3.0 is all you need.
I used one for a couple of years then just removed it when my skills improved.

If you get an opportunity, A trials bike is a great way to work on clutch and throttle
Control. I have more fun riding my trials bike than my KTM. Like Jarvis says. Practicing riding slow helps you ride fast ::up::

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:33 am 
B - class
B - class

Good and valid points. There were some deep ruts Sunday that I kept getting stuck in or coming out of. It was frustrating, and I kept dropping or stalling the bike. I definitely have a lot to work on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:10 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I have a Rekluse Z-Start Pro for that year XCF. (If interested PM) It stops the stalling and the struggle to stay in the right gear all the time. Also without the Rekluse I would work on clutching before breaking with the rear brake. This stops the break stall and worked well for me. What I like about the auto clutch is you can power all the way in to the corner before you get on the brakes. All you have to do is get in the right gear to come out of the corner.

"If you're going to be stupid, you've got to be tough!

The ABEST Agency
For all your commerical insurance needs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:50 pm 
B - class
B - class

Thanks, Andy. Looks like the XCF and XC take a different clutch. I may just need more seat time. ..In fact, either way, I need more seat time!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:43 pm 
C - class
C - class

No matter if you are needing more seat time, increased skills, or better bike set up, you cannot go wrong with the auto clutch. EXP 3.0 will do the job. It is definitely no band aid. If anything, the auto clutch allows you be in the right gear or apply the correct amount of throttle for technical situations. Won't ride without one! ::up::

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:50 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

GIRLS USE AUTO CLUTCHES! ::loser::

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:42 am 
C - class
C - class

Pooter, you are right. Girls on Team KTM and Yamaha use auto clutches. I believe they do pretty well with them too! Don't think I have seen you on that GNCC podium with them! ::smirk::

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:36 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

SWHKTM wrote:
Pooter, you are right. Girls on Team KTM and Yamaha use auto clutches. I believe they do pretty well with them too! Don't think I have seen you on that GNCC podium with them! ::smirk::

The pros you see with the Rekluse clutch covers are not necessarily running auto clutches. Rekluse also makes a line of manual clutches. In a lot of the promotions they kinda gloss over the fact the factory teams are using the manual version of their clutch.

HIGHLAND PARK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:41 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I LIKE GIRLS! ::cheer::

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:16 pm 
C - class
C - class

True. Rekluse has manual clutches but the pros (Girls & Boys) that I have talked with that run the auto clutches are sold on them! ::up::