Create Your Badge

It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dual Sport Riding Gear
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:10 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Dual Sport riders what are you wearing?

1) Wearing your moto style helmet with goggles or sport bike helmet?
2) Motocross style boots or something else?
3) What about pants/shirt?
4) Anybody wearing their moto protective gear? Chest protector etc.

Find us on the web @
www.dirthammers.com
Twitter @dirthammers
Instagram @dirthammers

Post subject: Re: Dual Sport Riding Gear
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:35 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

You see it all. Pants inside boot vs outside, chest protector vs jacket with armor built in, basic knee pads vs full braces. I traded my mx boots (they weighed a ton) for a lighter Alpine Stars model and I like an open face helmet with goggles because ditching the chin guard opens up a huge vision improvement.

Get protected, but get comfortable and dress to fit the weather.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:07 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Good Points, Thanks.

Find us on the web @
www.dirthammers.com
Twitter @dirthammers
Instagram @dirthammers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:17 pm 
Social Butterfly

I agree with Bill(Dirt), you see it all, stay protected but whatever works for yourself. When I do dual sport, I wear my normal off road gear, usually Klim over the boot pants, jersey, SG-10’s, moto-style helmet with goggles, chest protector, knee guards, hydration/tool pack, etc….. but generally try to ride the least amount of pavement as possible anyway. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:15 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to get my YZ converted. Ready for some dirt roads.

Find us on the web @
www.dirthammers.com
Twitter @dirthammers
Instagram @dirthammers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:02 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

a lot of it depends upon what you consider Dual Sport and how/where/what you ride.

if I were going somewhere on my 450, I'd probably just wear my standard off road gear (mx helmet, boots, neck brace, pressure suit, in the boots pants, etc). On my 950 it depends. I started doing most rides with the same gear as above, but have slowly turned it back a notch as I find that most of the "DS" riding in north GA is only one or two "fun" sections along with a lot of boring FS roads. For that, if it's cooler- standard armored jacket, over the boots pants, dual sport helmet (shoei hornet), MX boots, and knee braces. If there's more dirt/fun stuff or summer temps, I move back to the MX helmet and goggles and then switch from jacket to pressure suit and over shirt but keep the over the pants boots (nice to have pockets and not look quite so "moto"). gloves I tend to swap out and carry spares. usually some fabric mx gloves for dirt roads and trails, and something with more leather palms if there's more pavement.

different gear depending upon terrain, weather, and bikes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:05 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

SpeedyR wrote:
a lot of it depends upon what you consider Dual Sport and how/where/what you ride.

if I were going somewhere on my 450, I'd probably just wear my standard off road gear (mx helmet, boots, neck brace, pressure suit, in the boots pants, etc). On my 950 it depends. I started doing most rides with the same gear as above, but have slowly turned it back a notch as I find that most of the "DS" riding in north GA is only one or two "fun" sections along with a lot of boring FS roads. For that, if it's cooler- standard armored jacket, over the boots pants, dual sport helmet (shoei hornet), MX boots, and knee braces. If there's more dirt/fun stuff or summer temps, I move back to the MX helmet and goggles and then switch from jacket to pressure suit and over shirt but keep the over the pants boots (nice to have pockets and not look quite so "moto"). gloves I tend to swap out and carry spares. usually some fabric mx gloves for dirt roads and trails, and something with more leather palms if there's more pavement.

different gear depending upon terrain, weather, and bikes.

Good Points, Thanks,

How can one locate all the FS roads in North Georgia?

Find us on the web @
www.dirthammers.com
Twitter @dirthammers
Instagram @dirthammers

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:36 pm 
C - class
C - class

Usually am too casual. I do have some pants by Fly, but they're so flashy. I'm kinda shy to go out in them. I did get some real boots, but I'm so used to wearing shoe I'm kind thrown off by the feel of the boots. There Alpinestar Stella Tech3, I wonder if the cheapest Oneals would have been better? I want to wear the right stuff, but it starts to get so bulky and restricting, and HOT

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:09 am 
A - class
A - class

Dirt Hammers.com wrote:
SpeedyR wrote:

How can one locate all the FS roads in North Georgia?

GARTRA's next scheduled event is the Hooch two day dual sport June 11-12.

http://www.gartra.org/outdoors/index.ph ... is-comming

(i had to throw in the promo) ::yippie::

1997 DR350se
2003 KTM 250exc taged **SOLD**
2006 KTM 525exc taged

Rules:
Don't follow too close
Don't over ride your skill level
Ride on the Right side of the Trail - there may be a SUV around the corner :-)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:40 am 
B - class
B - class

Dirt Hammers.com wrote:
Dual Sport riders what are you wearing?

1) Wearing your moto style helmet with goggles or sport bike helmet?
2) Motocross style boots or something else?
3) What about pants/shirt?
4) Anybody wearing their moto protective gear? Chest protector etc.

Helmet:
I wear a Gmax GM11D helmet. It is a moto style helmet that is a cross-over from the sled market. The optics are very clear and this is one of the few helmets where the shield raises up to be completely out of view. Gmax makes a dual-layer shield ( think pin-lock ) that does not fog in the winter. Also, you can wear googles with this helmet and you can lower the shield over your googles. The eye port is nice and wide.

The cheek pads have nice deep ear pockets which has plenty of room for speakers for comms systems like Sena.

I have a Sena SMH-10 mounted on the left side of my GM11D and a Go-Pro mounted on the right side.

I love this helmet.

Boots:
My thought on boots is that once you leave the pavement, you become an off-road rider and you need to dress as an off-road rider. I am wearing the lightest motocross boots I could find that are also very protective. So, which boots do I wear?

Forma TX-Terrain Enduro boots. These boots have a hinged ankle and the foot area is completely surrounded, all the way around, by hard plastic. Because of the hinged ankle, this boot is easy to walk in and it is easy to operate the shift lever and brake pedal. You can move your foot up and down, but you cannot move your foot laterally, nor can you roll your ankle. The boots weight in at 3.9lbs, which is light for such a protective boot.

It might be hard to find, but the model of TX-Terrain Enduro boots that I wear have the lugged sole. Some might not like this as you cannot drag your foot during turns. Also, if you are one that does not ride on the arch of your foot on the pegs, then a lugged sole can take some getting use to when moving your foot on the pegs. However, once you step off the bike in steep or muddy terrain, you will greatly appreciate the lugged sole.

The TX-Terrain Enduro has a sewn on sole, so the sole is replaceable.

Pants / Shirt:
I am a Klim fanboy, so you will see me all decked out in Klim gear. My main pants are the Klim Dakar pants. They are heavy duty 840D Cordura. I feel these are tough enough to ride on the road. They are heavier than a motocross pant, but once riding I don't notice the weight.

For jersey's....I've got many ( Fly, Fox, Klim ) and I like Klim the best. They are the most visually appealing. They also seem to handle briars and thorns without ripping or tearing pretty well.

Pressure suit:
I wear a Thor Impact Rig and it has been crash tested several times. One thing I like about the Impact Rig over some of the other pressure suits is that the Thor does not zip up the middle of the front. In my opinion, that creates a weak point to your chest. The Impact Rig zips up the side and has a solid plastic front ( with foam protection behind the plastic plate ).

I also like the rugged back protector. I fell off my bike on Trail 81 at one of the steep sections. I fell down the mtn about 50 feet before a tree stopped my fall. The back protector took the hit and I sustained no injury ( or any pain ). I don't ride without the Impact Rig EVER. I've taken all of the pads out of all of my jackets and rely on the Impact Rig for all impact protection.

I also wear strap-on knee armor. I have two pairs, but I've not yet found a brand / model that I really like yet.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:31 am 
GOR Assisted Living

I second the back spine protection, this is something I picked up on from racing flat track 15 years ago. It is essential in that environment. And there are some light models that work well for motorcross and Woods racing too. I will try to remember the name of what I used to use.

John 3:16 John 14:6
GARTRA Member
'03 KX250/310 #95
'01 KX500 #10