Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Heart Rate Monitors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:02 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Looking at trying a HRM for riding the dirt bike as well at the mountain bike. I would like one that shows calories burned and possibly has GPS. Which ones do yall use and recommend? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Heart Rate Monitors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:14 am 
GOR Assisted Living

The Timex Ironman series has lots of flavors. Mine doesn't do GPS. I know where I've been and can usually guess where my HR maxed out at.

I wouldn't sink a lot of money in one. It's a neat gadget at first but the cool factor wears off with time.

And be sure to wash the chest band occasionally. Body salts seem to interfere with the pickup system after a couple dozen rides.

Best,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:27 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

cbob wrote:

I wouldn't sink a lot of money in one. It's a neat gadget at first but the cool factor wears off with time.

Best,
- c bob

Thanks Cbob. I was kind of wondering about this myself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:36 am 
KTM GURU

I second that newness thing. It was pretty cool for a while to use mine when I was mountain biking, and I had one that was a wrist model with no chest strap, easy to wear. After I used it or a while and looked at it a lot, I got pretty good at guessing my HR, then looking at the monitor just to confirm what I already knew. Pretty soon I wasn't looking at it anymore and now it sits patiently waiting for me to decide to use it again. So I think they are worthwhile, and they will teach you a lot, but after you practice with one for a period of time, you won't use it so much anymore.

Coincidentally, I happen to have a nice HR monitor for sale, fits like a wrist watch, no body strap, if you are interested. :)

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:43 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

PW makes good points.
Paul, you’d make more money renting the New off the HRM than selling. There’re a lot of folks who have to try one out. …I have on rotting in the drawer also.
-
HRM can keep you training in the right zone, but you can just pay attention to your body a breathing for that. The heart is just one aspect of getting your body in shape. First is muscular, next is heart, processing oxygen, training your body to burn all types of food –it will burn anything just like a furnace, recovery, mental capacity, once all that is as good as it can be (5th to 6th year of hard training) you’ll see that your VO2 max (lack of processing oxygen) will determine how good you can be.
One of the best things a HRM can do for you is to stop an old guy from running into the death zone.
You see, as you get older your Brain can run on…. and convince yourself that you can do anything better than you did before. You can push yourself through the pain, and beyond normal limits. But, your heart has a different idea.
The heart is a nerve filled muscle you never want to abuse like you can do your legs, back or arms. Yeah, you do want to train your heart and keep it in good shape with a minimum of walking 30 min a day or equivalent.
So, if you’re old, and not doing a minimum a day for your heart, then you go out for a spirited 14m. tough mudder, speedy sand whoop enduro marathon, or a roll about with a pretty young thang,……you might need a HRM.
Jake, you’re still young, spend your extra money on a new helmet.

How do you go so fast?
"Ya just got to take your brains out really, and hit stuff as hard as you can".
Johnny Walker

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:34 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

All very good points. I just happen to have been researching these this week to find the right one for me.

My wife tried to buy me an apple watch for my birthday but I refused, I just do not see me getting the money's worth out of it. My brother just bought some very expensive Garmin watch that basically does what my phone and a cheap heart rate monitor would do. Unless you want to run without carrying your phone, stand alone GPS is really not necessary I would think.

For right now, my training regime is Cycling about 10-12 miles a few times a week, doing Insanity 30 Max a couple time s a week, and I try to at least run one non-stop 2 hour race practice session on my bike at HP on weekends that I am not racing. So having my phone nearby to do all the tracking distances and times during these activities is not a problem.

So.....What kind of HRM's do you guys have rotting away in a drawer and how much do you want for them?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:37 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I use a Polar HRM and link it to my I-phone with bluetooth. I use the Polar APP. on the phone and it will monitor all my data with GPS. I always have my sweet music playing on my phone when I workout anyway so its not a burden to me. I can even put my phone in my camelback when I ride if I want that data. Pretty shocking what my old worn out pump does in a race sometimes ::screwy::

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:13 am 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

I run, do trail races, obstacle course races, bike, etc... Anyways I got a garmin Fenix 3. Does gps, navigation, heart rate and is a smart watch ( can read texts, control iPhone, etc..). It's a little pricey but yeah. Nice to have the navigation feature when riding places like HM and you get a bit lost.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:46 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I ended up buying the Wahoo Fitness Tickr X and have been using it for about 6 months or so: https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/hr.html#why-tickr

You cant beat it for the money. It is a chest strap style that syncs right to your phone with tons of data, and can even use internal memory when you dont have a phone around to retrieve the data. The Tickr works with many fitness apps too. I have not had a single issue with it.

I was given the RFLKT bike computer for my birthday as well. It works 'ok', but is nice to see the realtime data as your ride. I havent tried it with the dirt bike yet, but I am sure it would work great for that as well.