Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: KTM 350SXF tuning
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:22 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Starting to wonder if I made a mistake on the 350 versus the 450. Struggled in the sand today to clear stuff I used to do on my older KX450F. I've read the 350SXF's with the fuel injection actually out performed the older 450's in HP. Need just a little more grunt. Do I need to do the top end? Maybe valve adjustment? Remapping? Better header pipe? Running a KTM FMF pipe with a stock header and assuming stock mapping on a 2014 350 SXF.

Post subject: Re: KTM 350SXF tuning
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:01 pm 
KTM GURU

The newer 350's have a lot more low end grunt than previous models, but you can get some extra bottom end torque from remapping and adding a little exhaust back pressure to your 2014 350.

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

If you find yourself going through He11, keep going!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:38 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Thanks Paul!
What brand would you recommend for remapping and what sort of header?
Really like the bike just needs a little more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:01 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I have a 2014 350sxf set up for woods racing and I weigh approx 230 pounds. It has plenty of power for me, but I have the following on my bike:

FMF muffler/stock header (part 045561)
13/48 gearing
Sicass Racing EFI Map Plug/Wild (was given to me with bike not really sure if it helps)

I do ride the bike higher in the rpm range than I would a 450.....kind of ride it more like a 2stroke. As of this weekend I have 3 races on the bike and I love it. The 350 seems to have plenty of power, but it doesn't get me in trouble like a 450. I also have a 250sx and I find that even though one is a 2stroke and one is a 4stroke I tend to ride them similar.

2016 KTM 250sx
2013 KTM 250sx (SOLD)
2014 KTM 350sxf (SOLD)
2012 KTM 500 XC-W (SOLD)

Light shines brightest in the dark!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:33 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Gasholio wrote:
I have a 2014 350sxf set up for woods racing and I weigh approx 230 pounds. It has plenty of power for me, but I have the following on my bike:

FMF muffler/stock header (part 045561)
13/48 gearing
Sicass Racing EFI Map Plug/Wild (was given to me with bike not really sure if it helps)

I do ride the bike higher in the rpm range than I would a 450.....kind of ride it more like a 2stroke. As of this weekend I have 3 races on the bike and I love it. The 350 seems to have plenty of power, but it doesn't get me in trouble like a 450. I also have a 250sx and I find that even though one is a 2stroke and one is a 4stroke I tend to ride them similar.

Thanks for the response. In the trails its fine but there are a few places on tracks where there isn't quite enough. Does keep me out of trouble too. :)

I think the remap is cheaper than a Megabomb header. Really want to hear from someone who's done the header too. They have a pretty wild claim but the back pressure and smoothing the pulses makes sense as why the megabomb would help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:59 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

I ride mine lower in the RPM's most of the time. You really just need to learn the bike and know when it needs to be at higher RPM for the terrain. In harder/rockier stuff I ride low RPM and in sandy sections I run it higher.

I really like using the sicass Wild mapping plug.

In the past I got the switch but I found I ran the bike in wild 100% of the time. I had a full FMF system on my 2014 and 2015 350 and I actually liked the stock header better with an FMF 4.1 slip on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:38 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Mark537 wrote:
I ride mine lower in the RPM's most of the time. You really just need to learn the bike and know when it needs to be at higher RPM for the terrain. In harder/rockier stuff I ride low RPM and in sandy sections I run it higher.

I really like using the sicass Wild mapping plug.

In the past I got the switch but I found I ran the bike in wild 100% of the time. I had a full FMF system on my 2014 and 2015 350 and I actually liked the stock header better with an FMF 4.1 slip on.

I've heard folks liked the stock pipe better. Running a FMF slip on now. Wanna sell the header? Looks like I need to order a plug though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:32 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Sorry I sold that header last year. Save your money and run the stock one. It doesn't look as good but it pulls off the bottom better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:38 pm 
KTM GURU

Mark537 wrote:
Sorry I sold that header last year. Save your money and run the stock one. It doesn't look as good but it pulls off the bottom better.

Bingo. The stock header on the dyno makes better low RPM power, but loses about the same amount on top to the FMF. The bike can rock with just some mapping and a slip on. If you want to be able to tune the exhaust for low or top power and more or less noise, I have what you need for that too. ::up::

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

If you find yourself going through He11, keep going!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:36 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Paul Wright wrote:
Bingo. The stock header on the dyno makes better low RPM power, but loses about the same amount on top to the FMF. The bike can rock with just some mapping and a slip on. If you want to be able to tune the exhaust for low or top power and more or less noise, I have what you need for that too. ::up::

Ordered the Sicass plug in last night. Checked your website but didn't see the plug in. Once I plug in the Wild plug, I don't see it ever coming out. Probably coming up this weekend again though. What did you have in mind? Have a FMF slip on now.