Georgia Off Road Visit Highland Park
Home
News
Forums
Calendar
Ladies
Gallery
Track Map
MX Tracks
ORV Trails
Dirt Bike Guide
Reviews
Dealer Guide - our own yellow pages!
Contact GOR Administrators
Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge


It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:17 am 
Offline
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 109
Someone sent me this link: http://www.backinthedaymx.com/OnlineStore.html

They have the "exact" space I need already manufactured out of Billet for $40. Things are back on track.

Thank You to everyone for all of your help. It is truly appreciated.

_________________
"REAL" Men Motocross T-Shirts:
http://www.cafepress.com/llovemotocross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: The Beast
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:15 pm 
Offline
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 109
The Beast:
http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/member/19 ... n848,25684

_________________
"REAL" Men Motocross T-Shirts:
http://www.cafepress.com/llovemotocross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 pm 
Offline
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 109
I am going to try to get back to this bike. A guy stopped by to look at my bikes and he was really into this bike. Offered me a nice chunk of change for it. Reminded me how important it is.

_________________
"REAL" Men Motocross T-Shirts:
http://www.cafepress.com/llovemotocross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 am 
Offline
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 109
So I get a call from a buddy, this guy never used to race back in the day but now that he is older he has a few bikes and does the Hangover Marathon at Sand Hill Ranch every year (closed down now so I don't know where he is going race his one race a year). Any way he calls while I am working on my 1983 Yamaha YZ 490 and I tell him what I am doing and he says "you still haven't got that thing finished", "Come on man, take it to the shop"?

I have really been putting a lot into this bike. I don't want to rush it. I set out to make a nice Broc Glover Replica and that is what I am trying to do. I have split the cases and checked the gears (something most people would of skipped), painted the motor, painted the frame, polished the fork legs, greased and lubed every joint and bearing on the bike.

I have to have some work done to the cylinder, put on the new seat cover, purchase the OW Replica Side Panels and put it all back together and I will be done.

It has taken over a year. It will take even more time as far as the cylinder work and side panels as I am a single father and I don't have the budget of some of the collectors out there, that is why I do most of the work myself. I have to to save money.

I just can't wait to fire this baby up at the local riding spot and watch my buddy's face. He never got married, never had kids and never purchased his own home, so he can spend every penny he makes on Dirt Bikes and HAVING THE SHOP TRICK THEM OUT. This feels good to do the work myself and actually get my hands dirty and actually get to know my bike.

Almost there. Can't wait...No actually I proved I can wait.

_________________
"REAL" Men Motocross T-Shirts:
http://www.cafepress.com/llovemotocross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:32 am 
Offline
GOR Assisted Living
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3648
Location: Stockbridge, Georgia
::up::

Where's some pics?!

_________________
I don't FEEL tardy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:34 pm 
Offline
Sasquatch Teddybear
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:15 pm
Posts: 10597
SMMWest wrote:
So I get a call from a buddy, this guy never used to race back in the day but now that he is older he has a few bikes and does the Hangover Marathon at Sand Hill Ranch every year (closed down now so I don't know where he is going race his one race a year). Any way he calls while I am working on my 1983 Yamaha YZ 490 and I tell him what I am doing and he says "you still haven't got that thing finished", "Come on man, take it to the shop"?

I have really been putting a lot into this bike. I don't want to rush it. I set out to make a nice Broc Glover Replica and that is what I am trying to do. I have split the cases and checked the gears (something most people would of skipped), painted the motor, painted the frame, polished the fork legs, greased and lubed every joint and bearing on the bike.

I have to have some work done to the cylinder, put on the new seat cover, purchase the OW Replica Side Panels and put it all back together and I will be done.

It has taken over a year. It will take even more time as far as the cylinder work and side panels as I am a single father and I don't have the budget of some of the collectors out there, that is why I do most of the work myself. I have to to save money.

I just can't wait to fire this baby up at the local riding spot and watch my buddy's face. He never got married, never had kids and never purchased his own home, so he can spend every penny he makes on Dirt Bikes and HAVING THE SHOP TRICK THEM OUT. This feels good to do the work myself and actually get my hands dirty and actually get to know my bike.

Almost there. Can't wait...No actually I proved I can wait.


I have a very nice 83 YZ490 too...well...it was a 490 ::smirk::
When you get yours up and rollin....holler at me..we'll go riding ::up::
DJ

_________________
''Old and slow...but always ready to go''!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:38 am 
Offline
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 109
terriblemog wrote:
::up::

Where's some pics?!


I have to take some newer ones with the Motor back together and the Seat Cover actually on the Seat.

I still have to get the White Side Panels. I am getting the actual OW replica ones and not the Maier ones (I love you Maier Manufacturing. You have sponsored me for years but I have to go OW).

1983 YZ490 Project:
http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/member/19 ... n848,25684

_________________
"REAL" Men Motocross T-Shirts:
http://www.cafepress.com/llovemotocross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:47 am 
Offline
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 109
dennisyz450 wrote:
I have a very nice 83 YZ490 too...well...it was a 490 ::smirk::
When you get yours up and rollin....holler at me..we'll go riding ::up::
DJ


Got me interested in what you did to yours. What mods did you do?

I am doing:

Porting & Head Mod

1987 Kawasaki KX250 Carb

Race Tech Emulator Kit Front Forks

Ohlins Shock from Ebay

Answer Steel Black Handle Bars like Broc Glover ran

DG Pipe & Silencer as Broc Glover ran a DG Pipe

Ceet Seat Cover

Uni Air Filter

Still Needing:
OW White Side Panels

I need to find out what Sprocket Brand Broc Glover ran. My Sprockets are great but I am building a Replica so I want the same Sprocket Brand that he ran.

I keep looking at Pics of his 1983 OW 500 seeing what external things that I can see that I can put on my bike, but I think I have them all.

_________________
"REAL" Men Motocross T-Shirts:
http://www.cafepress.com/llovemotocross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:12 pm 
Offline
Sasquatch Teddybear
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:15 pm
Posts: 10597
SMMWest wrote:
dennisyz450 wrote:
I have a very nice 83 YZ490 too...well...it was a 490 ::smirk::
When you get yours up and rollin....holler at me..we'll go riding ::up::
DJ


Got me interested in what you did to yours. What mods did you do?

I am doing:

Porting & Head Mod

1987 Kawasaki KX250 Carb

Race Tech Emulator Kit Front Forks




I didn't do the work on it...I got the bike race ready from Tim Brown
He is THE man when it comes to vintage bikes
All I can tell you is it is a beast!!
I'm 6ft 6in and 280 and this bike is a rocket!
DJ
Ohlins Shock from Ebay

Answer Steel Black Handle Bars like Broc Glover ran

DG Pipe & Silencer as Broc Glover ran a DG Pipe

Ceet Seat Cover

Uni Air Filter

Still Needing:
OW White Side Panels

I need to find out what Sprocket Brand Broc Glover ran. My Sprockets are great but I am building a Replica so I want the same Sprocket Brand that he ran.

I keep looking at Pics of his 1983 OW 500 seeing what external things that I can see that I can put on my bike, but I think I have them all.

_________________
''Old and slow...but always ready to go''!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:11 am 
Offline
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 109
dennisyz450 wrote:

Porting & Head Mod

1987 Kawasaki KX250 Carb

Race Tech Emulator Kit Front Forks




I didn't do the work on it...I got the bike race ready from Tim Brown
He is THE man when it comes to vintage bikes
All I can tell you is it is a beast!!
I'm 6ft 6in and 280 and this bike is a rocket!
DJ


I actually am getting another Cylinder soon and it too will go out to Eric Gorr, but this time to detune the power out a little bit throughout the range so it doesn't come on so hard.

I understand that Jeff Stanton had his bikes in 1986 and 1987 detuned from what the Yamaha Team had done for Broc Glower years before because Broc Glover's bike were beasts. Jeff Stanton had his bike detuned as much as 4 Horsepower.

I am 6ft and 207lbs and yeah these bikes have enough power for 2 men. I also have a 1980 Yamaha YZ465 that is slowly becoming a Marty Moates Replica.

Do you have any photo's of your 1983 Yamaha YZ490? I am going have to look into Tim Brown.

_________________
"REAL" Men Motocross T-Shirts:
http://www.cafepress.com/llovemotocross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:14 am 
Offline
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 109
Nevermind. I found your pics here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49982

Sweet Bike! ::up::

_________________
"REAL" Men Motocross T-Shirts:
http://www.cafepress.com/llovemotocross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:55 pm 
Offline
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 109
Brian Kirby wrote:
Mark is right, as usual, the prime suspect would be a bent shift fork.


So just in case anyone ever has the problem that I had with their YZ490 not shifting when all of the Shift Forks and Gears are good.

Check This out:

So the problem with my Tranny was that the Stop Lever Assembly End slipped out from in between the Selector Star.

Once I placed the Stop Lever Assembly End back in between the Selector Star bam the Tranny worked and was smooth as butter.

Now why did the Stop Lever Assembly End slip out from in between the gaps within the Selector Star is the question? Why would the Shift Drum back out far enough for the Stop Lever Assembly End to move from its location?

I don't know the answer the question above, but everything is in working order and NOTHING is worn (everything looks like the guy that had it before me bought all new gears and shift forks and washers), so I think that the guy that I bought the bike from just didn't have the man strength to tighten everything down with the force needed.

_________________
"REAL" Men Motocross T-Shirts:
http://www.cafepress.com/llovemotocross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:52 pm 
Offline
GOR Assisted Living
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:51 am
Posts: 12267
Location: Dacula, GA
Possibly a missing thrust washer or something? Something that might seem insignificant. Check whats in there against a parts diagram . . . maybe. Grasping here.

Just a thought.

Best,
- c bob

_________________
KTMWorld & Highland Park - second to NONE!
Pro Line - GREAT guys
Cycle Gear - 3 Atlanta locations
Charity TBA Family Fun Ride - April 26, 2015
><>


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:21 pm 
Offline
Team GOR
Team GOR
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 7:00 pm
Posts: 10671
Location: Woodstock, GA
I've seen that type thing happen on a number of different bikes. I've seen the shift drum bearing shift in the case. Some have retaining pleases/screws to hold it in place. The bolt holding the shift detent roller arm can work its way loose allowing it to fall to one side of the shift star. The detent roller arm has to move freely but not move side to side.

_________________
Mark Klein
a.k.a. MX Tuner
Hyperformance Cycles
mxtuner@comcast.net


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1982 YZ 490 or 1983 YZ 490? Back at it again:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 am 
Offline
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 109
Just about done:
http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/member/19 ... n848,25684

This was before the new Front Brake Perch and Lever, Honda CR125 Throttle, Chain Slider, Smoothing out the new Seat Cover and Cleaning the Chain.

_________________
"REAL" Men Motocross T-Shirts:
http://www.cafepress.com/llovemotocross


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group