GOR Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0GNLvPmAg&NR=1 :mad:

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
2004 XR400

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:50 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

A good tip I heard - if you have some $bling$ wheels put a piece of split hose on the rim to prevent scratching.

Post subject: Re: How to-Tire changing video
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:44 am 
GOR Assisted Living

Laying the tires out in the sun, or in a car with the windows rolled up, doesn't work too good in February.

And it was already 60F in the garage. Setting the tires next to a kerosene heater would have me in shorts and a tank top with muscles bristling with beads of sweat rolling off all those rollie places. Not a pretty sight.

So I took a large cardboard box, cut a round hole in the bottom, stuck my mom's hair dryer outlet into the hole and put the new tires in the box. The hair dryer, which came from the 1960's and is only 175 watts, warmed the tires just enough to prove the concept works. Next time I'll try the wife's hair dryer on half power (500 watts?).

- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:01 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Meatloaf wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0GNLvPmAg&NR=1 :mad:

They have it all wrong..... the method taught to me by the tire guy in our truck shop back in the dark ages is a much more effective process that works on any tire size up to big truck tires. Warning though....this method *really* upsets any OSHA inspector that may happen to be walking through your shop. (Truck tire inflation cages are cheaper than the fines http://www.alltiresupply.com/p-T105.html ....ask me how I know) ::bang:: ::popcorn::

'99 CR250R
'00 Warrior 350
'90 220 Bayou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:55 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

If you need a boost of tire changing confidence, here's what you do...

Go out to the wife's 150F, or equivalant, and change those tires. I had the rear off the bike, new tire on and back on the bike in 20 minutes and cut the front down by 5 minutes!!!

The big bike will put me back in my place though. ::shocked::

'05 250 SX-F BROKEN!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:32 pm 
Social Butterfly

Gaaah!!!! I changed my tires today, the good....no pinched tubes > that deserves a dancing banana ::banana:: , the bad....took me 2 hours to change 2 tires, the ugly.....I only cussed a little(although not pretty words) and only threw one tool. :D

Daaang, I wish I could say I felt some satisfaction over doing it myself, but I really don't! And it kinda put me in a foul mood for about 2 hours after. I did the front first, that only took 30 minutes and I was feeling cocky after that, so plunged into the rear...that one was more of a challenge and brought out the Jersey in me. ::smirk:: The biggest problem was getting the tires completely off the rims once I broke the beads and spooned off one side of the tire and got the tube out. It wasn't pretty wrestling those things off, that's all I got to say. But, after I got the old tires off, the new ones went on fairly easy, small bites working with 3 spoons(One long Motion Pro iron with the large hook in one end and 2 small Motion Pro ones, all I had available), Windex for lube, little bit of patience, cussing, 4 ibuprophen for my back from working on the garage floor after it was all said and done.

In the back of mind, halfway through the rear tire, I did have all my gear and bike up for sale, and was getting out of the sport completely, I did recover from that fairly quick, thankfully! :D

Anyway, I thought about this thread halfway through and thought to myself, I really should have watched those video's and read this, but did it backwards and just now reading it. ::screwy::
Paul Wright wrote:
MX Tuner wrote:
Next time you have the tire off, take the duct tape off and reinstall a new rubber rim strap. They are easy to use, actually work as intended, don't hold moisture around the spoke nipples like the duct tape does, and are easy to remove so you can clean the inside of the rim and lubricate the insides of the spoke nipples. With duct tape, it makes it miserable to clean the inside fo the rim properly.

Ahhh... a man with experience speaks up.... heed those words, newbie tire changers, and life will be much better down the road with your next, and next, and next, etc, tire changes. Duct tape works if you don't have a proper rim strip, but it does not work the same way as a rim strip. Ever try to adjust your spokes when the fine threaded nipples are corroded to the spoke threads from moisture trapped in there for a long time? Ever tried to clean hardened duct tape gunk off the inside of a rim that has been duct taped for a long time?

I left my old, gummed up duct tape on the rims too, since I didn't read this until after the fact. ::rollieyes:: :D

btw-they were Pirelli's.