Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: KTM 85/105 pipe o-rings
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:31 am 
C - class
C - class

Has anybody found an aftermarket o-ring that will allow the KTM 85/105 pipe to seal better to the engine. I just did a top end and put new fmf orings in the pipe, hoping to stop some of the goo leaking out. But that didn't resolve the matter. I've done my best to ensure pipe is lined up and bolted correctly. I know some use RTV sealant and have good results. Is there a certain brand and heat range of RTV that seems to work better. Your thoughts and suggestions are truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kent

Post subject: Re: KTM 85/105 pipe o-rings
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:00 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I don't have an 85 or 105 but I do have a 200EXC.
I'm doing some updates to it which included straightening the pipe and new o-rings.

The ones I installed are viton o-rings purchased from McMaster-Carr. They are slightly bigger than the stock ones and fit fine. These have been suggested by many long time KTM owners.

So, if you can find the stock size and order the next size larger from McMaster-Carr, maybe it will fix the spooge drool issue.

Or you can buy the exact stock size from them in bulk sizes and they are much cheaper that OEM.

Hope this helps.

CSR Racing
2005 KTM 200EXC
2002 Honda XR400R

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:35 am 
GOR Assisted Living

I use a high heat RTV in addition to the o-rings. Be sure both surfaces are reasonably clean and only smear a small amount. All I can tell you is the RTV is copper colored . . .

Best,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:59 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

cbob wrote:
I use a high heat RTV in addition to the o-rings. Be sure both surfaces are reasonably clean and only smear a small amount. All I can tell you is the RTV is copper colored
Best,
- c bob

I have used the high heat RTV in the past as well.

I think the key is to have the pipe fit flush in the flange or pipe mounting surface.

Like cbob said, use a small amount. I have seen where people have added the RTV on different parts of the mounting surface. Some before the o-rings, some after and even some between the o-rings (for multiple 0-rings).

CSR Racing
2005 KTM 200EXC
2002 Honda XR400R

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:03 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Is the pipe distorted at all? Even "downstream" can affect the angle the pipe is sitting in the cylinder, even just a little. And when you did the top end, did you go through the power valve or just piston/ring job?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:52 pm 
C - class
C - class

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually ended up trying the copper colored high temp RTV this past weekend. Kiddo raced the Setra HS and everything worked perfect, except for him. Took a digger on the first lap, but still finished 13 overall. Anyway, no leaks at all.

Mog, when I did the top end, everything was taken apart and cleaned, including power valve assembly.

There must be some issues with how the manifold wears over time. Even when I have installed new pipes on some of our bikes, they have still leaked. Just a KTM thing it seems. Research revealed it really didn't matter what year or 2 stroke model, some KTM's just seemed to leak more than others. Some resolved it with bigger o-rings or with RTV.

By the way, the process I followed was to clean everything as good as possible with brake parts cleaner. I then put the sealant evenly over/around the manifold. I then slid the pipe over and hooked the springs to hold it in place. Then I loosely tightened all bolts and mounted the silencer. I then made sure it looked like the pipe was fitting flush and then I tightened everything down. I then let it dry for a couple of days. So far, so good.