Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:19 am 
D - class
D - class

I plan on going riding in the morning around 10. If anyone is interested give me a call at 770-846-8200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:18 pm 
C - class
C - class

I forgot to check to see if you responded yesterday. Maybe i can go out with you next time you go.

Post subject: Riding near Canton
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:13 am 
D - class
D - class

I plan on going riding this afternoon around 2:00. If anyone is interested, give me a call at 770-846-8200. I will also be riding Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:35 am 
C - class
C - class

Can't make it today, but definately would like to go Sunday.

Post subject: Re: Riding near Canton
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:29 pm 
GOR Pro
GOR Pro

cpickens wrote:
I know were some good riding is in Canton. Me and my friends ride about twice a week. If anyone is interested in riding this coming weekend, post and maybe we can put something together. The trails are wide enough for 4 wheelers and dirtbike. (about 20,000 acres or more)

Where is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:21 am 
D - class
D - class

We are going riding around 12 or 12:30. If anyone would like to join give me a call at 770-846-8200. Sorry for the short notice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:03 pm 
B - class
B - class

There are some trails by the New Dam area. Lots of trails, dirt roads, power lines etc. They will develope it one day, but for now you can ride all day and never see the same place twice. It is behind the Home Depot off Riverstone past the Sears...Watch out for the locals...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:33 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Saw this info in another post. I think the place this article is referring to maybe Sweetwater because after speaking more with guys that go offroading with there Jeeps it sounds like Sweetwater is Corp of Engineer land on the north end of Lake Allatoona right off Hwy 20.

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:12 am Post subject: saw this on 11alive last night

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this on 11-alive last night on the news. Just thought I would share.

(It is on their website this morning)

Cherokee Co. Targets Illegal ATVs
Read Comments (5)Recommend (0)Print Article Email Article Larger Smaller Updated 9/3/2008 12:30:21 AM
Posted By: Julie Wolfe

The quiet of unincorporated Cherokee County is often interrupted: "It's the motors, mostly."

Mike Hughes' property backs up to Land owned by the Army Corps of Engineers. It's illegal to ride ATVs on that federal land without written permission, but Hughes says it has become common ground for illegal ATV riding.

"With our luck, there's a stopping point right behind our house. They congregate there and have parties, so it's pretty loud at night."

During a public hearing Tuesday night at the Cherokee County Justice Center, the list of complaints continued:

"People down there are drinking; they're leaving trash all over the place."

"Especially in a subdivision, they don't belong there."

"They came to see me, and I didn't invite them," one woman said to a few chuckles.

Cherokee County Commissioners immediately voted to pass a new ordinance banning all ATVs from public land, except on posted ATV trails.

The County Commissioners allotted 30 minutes for comments during the public hearing Tuesday night. During that time, eight people spoke. All of them supported the ordinance.

"We feel like this is a great opportunity for the county to stand up and say, 'This is not the right kind of use for our community and the land we have,' John Hicks, a Cherokee County resident said.

Neighbors say the new ordinance will create a smoother enforcement policy between the County Marshals, Sheriff Deputies, and Corps officials.

"It's really good news," Mike Hughes said. "The four or five officers that have been coming down here with I've called, they've been on board much earlier than tonight. This legislation will add teeth to their efforts."

Post subject: Re: Sweetwater near Canton/Cartersville
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:45 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Folks, Just to let you know....I recently had a conversation with what turned out to be one of the landowners in this Sweetwater area. During this conversation my affiliation with this site came up and this person expressed to me their frustration with GOR and brought to my attention their knowledge of this particular thread and the natural assumption that GOR members likely have been riding on the property based on the posts in this thread.

What tonyinatlanta posted was confirmed and the ordinance is real, the fines are steep and as was mentioned earlier, the Corps property adjacent to this property is off-limits to vehicles as well. The area is patrolled on a pretty regular basis these days and owners have stepped in and are turning in tag numbers and vehicle descriptions of people seen on either private or Corps property for prosecution.

'99 CR250R
'00 Warrior 350
'90 220 Bayou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:16 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Once again the internet and few rowdy people ruin a good riding area.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you have a sweet spot near your house DO NOT post it on the internet. DO NOT invite anyone. If you are invited, DON"T post it on the internet. Just ride and keep quite.

I'm not saying it's okay to ride on private or public land without permission, but we all know of at least one piece of land that the owner has tuned the other cheek and let people ride. Often the land owner gives permission for a few people to ride the property. In the past this wasn't a problem as word of mouth was slow to spread. There is a limit to how much a land owner or the neighbors will tolerate. Posting directions or talking about private land on the internet you do not have permission to ride will quickly get the area shut down.

HIGHLAND PARK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:55 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I have ridden a few of the powerlines in Paulding when it was still tolerated. Last year they started having some trouble with teenagers on ATV's breaking wdws in new houses being constructed in neighborhoods and one particular kid riding up and down a creek in someones backyard cussing at the homeowner even when they ask him nicely to go back towards the powerlines.

They started policing the area pretty regularly and several of my friends got warnings about the new law. I have found that hunting season also creates more aggravation with riders so that time frame of the year should be avoided completely if you want to take a chance on trepassing or riding on easements.

I myself would rather drive a little further and pay to promote fun riding areas than worry the whole time I am riding about getting caught. I hate to pay the state as much income taxes as I do let alone give them extra money in tickets and/or fines.

The sad thing is that the people who are creating the issues are not usually riders anyway. They just use a machine (usually an ATV) to get deep in the woods to behave inappropriately and make their mark thrashing through the terrain and leaving trash everywhere.

We need to protect our rights to ride by separating ourselves from this crowd for sure. If we ride illegally, I am not sure we can.