Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rides near Alpharetta?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:10 am 
D - class
D - class

Hey guys, this is my first post on the forums so sorry if this is the wrong place. I'm originally from Nashville and used to do a lot of riding around that area but I haven't done much riding since I moved down here 3 years ago. Anyways I just got an restored a YZF426 and quickly realized I don't have enough land to properly ride the thing!

I've done a lot of reading about the public tracks on the website here (very good resource btw) and I'm planning on probably loading up and going up to the Wissenhunt ORV trails here soon but was curious if there are any other riders closer around the Alpharetta area that know of some good spots I can go for a shorter ride closer to home?

Thanks!

-Mike

Post subject: Re: Rides near Alpharetta?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:18 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Welcome to GOR! ::yippie::

There might be some private spots but if they were disclosed here they wouldn't be private anymore. So if someone PM's you with an invite treat it like gold (and bring cookies).

Be mindful that Whissenhunt has it's annual closure on Jan 1. Re-opening day is in the Spring. They do this to minimize frost heave damage. Town Creek near Greensboro OTOH, is closed and re-opens Jan 2. I guess it doesn't get as frosty there. If any of the USFS areas are wet they may close them for a week or so.

Talking Rock might be close for you but most folks head out to Highland Park, Durhamtown, etc for more trails & variety. Be careful at Highland Park - you can easily return with an extra bike in the back. ::up::

We have a group headed to Fall Line Off Road in Milledgeville tomorrow (Mon Dec 26). It's a loop plus mx track so a meeting time isn't that important.

And again, welcome to GOR. ::cheer::

Best,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:35 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

cbob wrote:
Welcome to GOR! ::yippie::

There might be some private spots but if they were disclosed here they wouldn't be private anymore. So if someone PM's you with an invite treat it like gold (and bring cookies).

Be mindful that Whissenhunt has it's annual closure on Jan 1. Re-opening day is in the Spring. They do this to minimize frost heave damage. Town Creek near Greensboro OTOH, is closed and re-opens Jan 2. I guess it doesn't get as frosty there. If any of the USFS areas are wet they may close them for a week or so.

Talking Rock might be close for you but most folks head out to Highland Park, Durhamtown, etc for more trails & variety. Be careful at Highland Park - you can easily return with an extra bike in the back. ::up::

We have a group headed to Fall Line Off Road in Milledgeville tomorrow (Mon Dec 26). It's a loop plus mx track so a meeting time isn't that important.

And again, welcome to GOR. ::cheer::

Best,
- c bob

What cbob said ^ ::up:: Also Our Chritmas ride at Fall Line is for two days. Dec. 26-27. If its not to much of a drive for ya we would love to have ya. I use to ride a YZ426 myself. It made a great woods bike. The starting drill is what got most folks but i had down to a science!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:23 am 
Green Haze Emitter

Would you like to ride at the intersection of 400 and Setting Down Rd?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:17 pm 
D - class
D - class

Hey guys thanks for the information. Fall Line is a pretty good drive for me but I may plan a trip down there or Durhamtown at some point, I pretty much have to make a 2 or 3 day trip out of it which is hard with the wife and kids and all that!

C bob - thanks for the head sup about Wissenhunt, I guess I'll have to make that trip in the spring then. Highland park is a bit closer so I'll be out there sooner or later I'm sure.

PeelSkid - I took a look at that on the map and that's only about 30 minutes away from me and looks like there is a good bit of land there. I would love to ride there sometime, is that your land there?

-Mike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:03 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

David, you aren't trying to get the new guy arrested are you?? :D

2005 KTM 450EXC #665
2003 Sherco 2.9
1979 Yamaha IT400
2001 Kawasaki KX500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:51 pm 
B - class
B - class

Arrested? What for? Don't you know you can ride a dirt bike anywhere in the Atlanta area with no consequences at all.See it on the news and Facebook all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:36 pm 
D - class
D - class

I would also be interested in any areas around Alpharetta or Cumming to ride as most trails are an hour or more away.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:27 pm 
B - class
B - class

Highland park is going to be your best option . I live in Woodstock and it is little more than 1 hour drive . There is a private place in dawsonville area . it is around a 1000 bucks a year for a membership. Pm me and I can get you more info on it .

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:04 am 
B - class
B - class

those that are interested in the riding area near Dawsonville , I am going to check with property owner to get you guys a contact and more info on it .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:23 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Does he offer a half year membership or 1 time fee?

I'd gladly pay $50 a ride, but dropping $1000 for a yearly membership on a place I might ride 8-10 times a year is kinda steep.

09 YZ250 (265 Woods Weapon)
06 CRF250R- Sold (No more 4Joke)
RM144 - The newest addition (She's purdy)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:51 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Just my $0.02.

I have ridden the place in Dawsonville with a friend who is a member there. Its a pretty cool place, especially if you live really close. It MIGHT be worth $1000 per year. But personally, I don't think it is. There wasn't enough trail and it wasn't unique enough to warrant that kind of money if you only go there to dirtbike every now and again. But if you want to go camp, swim in the lake, screw around on the dirtbike, maybe ride a go kart or mini-motard on the road coarse like every other weekend or something, then it would be worth it for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:27 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

I was a member at Durhamtown at $300? / yr. I barely broke even. No worries, we each make our own decisions.

Best,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:06 am 
D - class
D - class

I live in Roswell and can't seem to find anything closer than an 1.5 hours. I've gone to Tatum Lead ORV Trail the last 2 Saturdays. In April the other half of the trail will be open (Rock Creek ORV Trail). It's nice up there. I've only been riding maybe 5 times, with that said Tatum leads seems like an easy trail. Lots a corners, but on a two way that can get scary, and very rocky. I've been to Whissenhunt OHV Trails once a couple years ago it has more trails, but seemed easy to get lost, for me anyways. I would love to go back to Whissenhunt, but it looks like it will be closed until June 2018. I've heard of Durhamtown and Highland park, however; I wanted to improve my abilities before I get around a ton of people.

If anyone is down to get a small group together let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:22 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Frequent Falls wrote:
I live in Roswell and can't seem to find anything closer than an 1.5 hours. I've gone to Tatum Lead ORV Trail the last 2 Saturdays. In April the other half of the trail will be open (Rock Creek ORV Trail). It's nice up there. I've only been riding maybe 5 times, with that said Tatum leads seems like an easy trail. Lots a corners, but on a two way that can get scary, and very rocky. I've been to Whissenhunt OHV Trails once a couple years ago it has more trails, but seemed easy to get lost, for me anyways. I would love to go back to Whissenhunt, but it looks like it will be closed until June 2018. I've heard of Durhamtown and Highland park, however; I wanted to improve my abilities before I get around a ton of people.

If anyone is down to get a small group together let me know.

No need to worry about that. There was a guy I met on the trail at HP two weeks ago who was on his second ride ever. He was sticking mainly to the main trail and the 2 Diamond trails and he said he was having a ball. So dont wait any longer, HP is dirtbike heaven here in the south. Duramtown is not so good, unless youre into riding the more difficult single track stuff, and then you have to know where to find those trails, otherwise its dirt interstate for SxS's and quads almost everywhere.