Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GoPro, or ?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:10 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

looking for a present for my self this holiday season and with black friday coming up I would like to hear about peoples experiences with GoPros and other similar devices

Post subject: Re: GoPro, or ?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:27 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I have a Hero 4 and a Session. The session is the best for dirt biking. The only complaint I have had is that sometimes the memory cards get to were they don't work with either of them and erasing and formatting doesn't fix it, you end up having to buy another card to get it to behave correctly again. I've lost a lot of great footage due to this and its very aggravating when it happens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:31 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

I like my Garmin Virb, but in the old form factor.
The newer version is the same general configuration at the GoPros.

Old version has large, glove friendly, dependable slide switch to activate.
Old Elite versions have remote control available.

No more "Is my light blinking?", plus a lot of cool info on your ride you can access.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:36 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Overcast day

https://youtu.be/DcHSAAaS80A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:48 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Ob1 wrote:
Virb: plus a lot of cool info on your ride you can access.

Like over-layng the GPS track, lap times, speed, elevation graphs, and heart rate data (if you wear an HRM on your ride) and many other cool things onto the videos. Really cool stuff.

Like so:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:22 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Do all the virbs overlay data? If not what model do you have that does?
My wife does track nights up at Atlanta Motorsports Park in her Miata and overlayed info would be really cool to have.
This could be a joint present for both of us ::yippie::

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:58 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Not sure which models (if not all) will do the overlays. I believe the Virb 360 is the one they were using for outdoor MX this past season.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:32 pm 
D - class
D - class

Garmin VIRB all the way. There are quite a few models to pick from. All have the ability to overlay data with the Garmin Virb Edit app. Just different models of VIRB's have different built in sensors. Like the basic gen 1 Virb doesn't have the GPS, then in Gen 2 VIRB Elite is 95% the same s the Virb gen 1 but adds in the GPS. I had x2 Verb Elite's and loved them. Battery lasts ~2 hrs which was perfect for a HS race but couldn't mount it well for my style. I now have a VIRB XE and love the size difference and mount, it fits under my visor perfectly. But battery only lasts 1.5 hours. I don't use the image stabilization much seems to get wonky with the speed of the bikes but might do better in a car or other uses. Keep your eye out on Amazon for Refirb's sometimes you can get an Elite for just under $100. The ones I got I was able to pick up for $90 and $94. The XE's run ~$250 ish. XE's also are water proof to 50ft out of the box, no added case or stuff and have lots of bluetooth things they talk to(mic's, sensors, OBDII ports for car racing). GoPro's probably are better in a few ways but in my opinion way over priced and nickel and dime you to death with the mounts and parts you need. Garmin's I have gotten came with everything needed to use, just you can buy different sensors if you like. I use a Garmin Chest strap Hear Rate Monitor and have had great luck with it only $50.
Here is a link to my XE at HP's Zombie HS last month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuQ_ey_1-rc&t=1536s
I only shot in 720 trying to save battery but it did't make much of a difference. The Vid's come out much clearer on my PC vs what uTube shows for some reason. I have not figured out how to keep them as clear once I upload them. Some folks say its cause I am not on a paid account or getting sponsored by ads, but for sharing what is there works good enough for me, just pointing that out so you don't think the VIRB is that fuzzy normally. What I have on my PC is as clear as you watching TV.
Also if you are looking at overlay data for Track day stuff look into a Garmin VIRB XE Car Racing bundle. Depending on the type of car you can get all sorts of telemetry data from the OBDII port and overlay that on the track from the GPS and add in all sorts of HR monitors, external bluetooth MIC's in the helmet. All kinds of goodies.

Daughter #3 WR250
Daughter #2 KTM250xcf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:48 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

I’ve found that Garmins old style HRM is every bit as comfortable but only 1/3 the cost of their “premium soft strap” version. Also, because of sweat, there are thousands of complaints about the nodes corroding and the HRM becomes useless. You don’t get that issue with the cheap one.

Just FYI. Cheaper and more durable if you go that route:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UOD5QM/re ... fAbR7MX34S