Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Andrew Short to Husqvarna Factory Racing Rally Team
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:35 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

http://motocross.transworld.net/news/andrew-short-joins-husqvarna-rally-team/#y7GuhQYIPbc8blVw.97

Husqvarna Motorcycles are pleased to announce the signing of Andrew Short, with the American joining the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing Rally team with immediate effect. Turning a new page in his illustrious career, the former US SX and MX racer is set to pilot Husqvarna's FR 450 Rally machine throughout the 2018 and 2019 seasons.

One of the most acclaimed riders in the recent history of US competition, Short wrapped up his 16-year-long career as a professional motocross and supercross racer with a total of nine wins and 49 podium results. A force to be reckoned with throughout his career, the Colorado native has finished among the top three in the AMA Pro Motocross championship no fewer than five times.

Heavily involved with the off-road motorcycle industry in many ways, Andrew possesses a wealth of experience as an official test and development rider – an activity that the American focused on after announcing his retirement from professional motocross competition at the end of the 2016 season. Since then Short has also been a spokesperson and mentor for the younger generation of motocross racers.

Never ceasing his active involvement with off-road riding, Andrew took the decision to switch to rally racing having taken part at this year's Sonora Rally, round one of the 2017 Dakar Challenge. Enjoying an impressive first outing the highly-experienced racer wrapped up the four-stage-long event by claiming third overall in Mexico.

Short is set to make his racing debut aboard the Husqvarna FR 450 Rally machine at the 2017 OiLibya Morocco Rally on October 4 to 10. Looking to gain more experience in navigation and demanding rally stages, he is expected to be a strong asset for the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing team for the upcoming Dakar Rally in January.

Diego Clement – Head of Motorsport at Husqvarna Motorcycles: "We are really excited to have Andrew join the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing Rally team. An accomplished racer with a very long and distinguished career in motocross and supercross racing, Andrew is now highly motivated to succeed in rally racing. Taking advantage of his wealth of experience and knowledge we strongly believe he will further strengthen our rally team. With his speed never in doubt, our goal is to provide him with all the necessary tools so that he can learn and further improve his navigational skills. Andrew will make his debut at this week's OiLibya Rally in Morocco. It will be a perfect chance for him to gain some racing miles on the FR 450 Rally machine ahead of the Dakar Rally."

Andrew Short – Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing: "I'm really excited to be part of Rockstar Energy Husqvarna. It's an awesome opportunity to take a new step forward in my career as a racer. Rally racing is something I've always been interested in. I love riding and racing and to me it seems like rally is the ultimate adventure you can have on a dirt bike. After retiring as a pro motocross racer at the end of 2016 I started riding my bike in the mountains of Colorado and fell in love with it. I took some navigation training lessons and then had a blast at the Sonora Rally. The biggest challenge for me now is to get some more experience and improve my skills in navigation and that's exactly what I'll be focusing on this week in Morocco."

Read more at http://motocross.transworld.net/news/an ... 8cIheuQ.99

Post subject: Re: Andrew Short to Husqvarna Factory Racing Rally Team
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:51 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

When he is done offroad racing does he go back to Honda in a support role or stay on at Husky or become a full time cattle rancher?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:24 pm 
KTM GURU

Interesting because Shorty is tough and still has mad skilz. He might just make that rally bike fly.

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

If you find yourself going through He11, keep going!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:24 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Here are a couple of related articles from Upshift Online's FB page about Andrew Short at this week's Morocco Rally:

Thursday
Quote:
Following a few days of testing Pablo’s Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing, team partner Andrew Short had his first competitive outing on the FR 450 Rally machine. Focused on gaining further rally experience the American wrapped up the short opening stage with the 15th best overall time. With a total of 859km to be run on Friday, stage one of the 2017 OiLibya Morocco Rally will take competitors to the city of Erfoud. It’s going to be the longest stage in this year’s rally and the first part of the two-day long Marathon stage.

Andrew Short: “This event is like a big learning experience for me. The whole process is really exciting for me and I was very happy to get on with the racing bit today. The beginning of the stage had a lot of concrete on the side of the road and I was feeling maybe a bit overconfident. After that, it humbled me and I just decided to focus on my road book and enjoy the stage for what it was. Overall, it was nice to leave the bivouac and get a first feeling for how it all works with the speed zones and the waypoints. Everything is new for me so the whole process is fun. I know this event is going to be a big adventure for me and my main goal is to get as much experience as possible. I’m looking forward to the longer stages the next couple of days.”

Friday
Quote:
Continuing his rally apprenticeship aboard the FR 450 Rally machine, Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Andrew Short reached the finish of the rally’s longest stage in 33rd position. Successfully battling his way through a few small issues, the American has his eyes set on continuing to learn and improve.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:33 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Here is a link to a brief RacerX interview with Andrew Short in early November after he completed the Morocco Rally.

http://racerxonline.com/2017/11/06/the-conversation-andrew-short

He will be #54 in next January's DAKAR Rally.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:30 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Thats awesome and the bike is super awesome.