Dirt Bike Guide
Reviews
Dealer Guide - our own yellow pages!
Contact GOR Administrators
Georgia Offroad

Create Your Badge

It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: New much lower pricing and battery leasing for Alta!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:12 pm 
GOR Assisted Living

Had a guy at work with a Tesla. If he's still there he's paying $1,545 / year for an assigned parking space, twice the normal rate. I'll never own one of those, either but he's the kind of person that will be buying an Alta.

Best,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:01 am 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

cbob wrote:

Ya know, Henry Ford (the original) had an electric boat, claimed it was the future . . . . didn't go far.

I think it was actually his wife's boat. They used it frequently on the Rouge River, near Dearborn. (I almost went to work for Ford in Dearborn, but decided Atlanta was a much better place to live.)

And....... Electric Boat Company. Founded in 1899, built the first nuclear submarine, and still builds most of the big subs for the US Navy.

OK, back on topic to electric bikes…

I am definitely not someone with money to burn. Never paid for a parking spot at work and my wife’s car is the only car or bike we own that is less than 10 years old. However, I have wanted an e-bike since KTM’s first promotional release in about 2009. Not because it would replace any of my aging petrol bikes, but because it will open up a huge additional riding opportunity for me; i.e. my own yard, and eventually other places where noise issues preclude riding today. If there were a local dealer for electric trials bikes I would probably already have one.

Paul,

I am sure you are already looking into the details, so as you get the information it will be great to hear more about the terms of the battery lease program. This is a very different model than buying a bike and even quite different than leasing the entire vehicle.

BTW, I have tried to find additional information on the 50 Euro/month ($60 US/month) battery leasing program from KTM. It was announced some time ago and is promoted on the KTM website, but I couldn’t find anything beyond the monthly price.

Some example questions that I am sure somebody at Alta is already considering....

- What happens at the end of the 36 month period? Do you extend the battery lease at a guaranteed rate? Or at a to-be-determined rate? Can you then purchase the battery at a post-lease residual price?
- Is there still a purchase rather than lease option for an Alta bike?
- KTM's lease program includes the charger to match the current battery. How does the lease program work with the Alta chargers? Currently MX = offboard, SM = onboard.
- Is there a one-time cost, a change to the monthly price, or any other changes to the contract terms if you exchange your original battery for newer technology?
- Is the battery lease transferrable if you sell the bike?
- And, what happens if the battery fails, degrades, or is damaged? I believe the current Alta claim is 1,000 charge cycles while retaining better than 80% of original capacity. Will there be a performance warranty for the 36 months? (Interestingly, KTM’s specs on their new, improved 2018 battery are only touting 700 charging cycles to 75%.)

Looking forward to hearing the details in the fine print for both the Alta and KTM bikes once the ink dries. Also hoping to see the specs on the 2018 Alta bikes sometime soon. Preliminary info in the motorcycle press has been inconsistent. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 am 
KTM GURU

leeo45 wrote:
I am definitely not someone with money to burn. Never paid for a parking spot at work and my wife’s car is the only car or bike we own that is less than 10 years old. However, I have wanted an e-bike since KTM’s first promotional release in about 2009. Not because it would replace any of my aging petrol bikes, but because it will open up a huge additional riding opportunity for me; i.e. my own yard, and eventually other places where noise issues preclude riding today. If there were a local dealer for electric trials bikes I would probably already have one.

Paul,

I am sure you are already looking into the details, so as you get the information it will be great to hear more about the terms of the battery lease program. This is a very different model than buying a bike and even quite different than leasing the entire vehicle.

BTW, I have tried to find additional information on the 50 Euro/month ($60 US/month) battery leasing program from KTM. It was announced some time ago and is promoted on the KTM website, but I couldn’t find anything beyond the monthly price.

Some example questions that I am sure somebody at Alta is already considering....

- What happens at the end of the 36 month period? Do you extend the battery lease at a guaranteed rate? Or at a to-be-determined rate? Can you then purchase the battery at a post-lease residual price?
- Is there still a purchase rather than lease option for an Alta bike?
- KTM's lease program includes the charger to match the current battery. How does the lease program work with the Alta chargers? Currently MX = offboard, SM = onboard.
- Is there a one-time cost, a change to the monthly price, or any other changes to the contract terms if you exchange your original battery for newer technology?
- Is the battery lease transferrable if you sell the bike?
- And, what happens if the battery fails, degrades, or is damaged? I believe the current Alta claim is 1,000 charge cycles while retaining better than 80% of original capacity. Will there be a performance warranty for the 36 months? (Interestingly, KTM’s specs on their new, improved 2018 battery are only touting 700 charging cycles to 75%.)

Looking forward to hearing the details in the fine print for both the Alta and KTM bikes once the ink dries. Also hoping to see the specs on the 2018 Alta bikes sometime soon. Preliminary info in the motorcycle press has been inconsistent. Thanks.

I am asking all these same questions and more. The only answers I can give right now are that All Alta's come with a charger included in the price, and you can still purchase the Alta outright without the leasing program. I'll post more when I have more.

As for the KTM, I was told the US model will not be the same as the Euro model, the most notable difference being the US model will not be street legal.

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

If you find yourself going through He11, keep going!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:19 am 
GOR Assisted Living

Want cbob's blessing? Put a setra sticker on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 am 
Dirt Shark

This is definitely a step in the right direction.

I can't wait for the day I'm riding an Alta (or other electric bike) vs. gas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 am 
GOR Assisted Living

Alta ride review courtesy Rocky Mountain MC -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu5exd1yqXU

Enjoy,
- c bob

Thanks to: Mika Metals, Twin Air, Scott, ZeaVision . . . . ><>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:10 pm 
GOR Veteran
GOR Veteran

Hey Paul, Alta has announced lower pricing but is not giving specifics on how the price is lower. Is this new MSRP from the battery leasing thing, or has that been scrapped and prices just lowered?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:22 pm 
KTM GURU

colintrax wrote:
Hey Paul, Alta has announced lower pricing but is not giving specifics on how the price is lower. Is this new MSRP from the battery leasing thing, or has that been scrapped and prices just lowered?

Yep, new lower pricing on 2018 Altas, I believe $11995 is now the advertised retail price, no battery lease required. Also close out pricing on the 2017 models, thousands under the new low 2018 price. Alta has had a banner year, production is up, and when you build a lot more, the cost per unit goes down considerably. The 2018's are not available yet, but I have two new 2017's at the super discount price, and 2 demos at even lower prices. One of them is under $8K. ::eek::

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

If you find yourself going through He11, keep going!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:35 am 
GOR Assisted Living

Paul Wright wrote:
and 2 demos at even lower prices. One of them is under $8K. ::eek::

STOP IT!!! ::mad::